New To Forum, Help Needed with ORF to Jpeg Conversion!

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

talkingtree

New To Forum, Help Needed with ORF to Jpeg Conversion!

Post by talkingtree »

Hello, I've been trying convert Full size .ORF files to Jpeg but for some reason the software is converting original RAW sizes and downsampling them nearly a 1000 pixels smaller in the jpeg output. It doesn't do this to all of the images, just some of them!? As if there is a bug in the software or something??

Anyways, what I did is I searched for the original RAW file and checked the dimension on my mac and it's bigger than the output file that XNConvert is pumping out on about 30% of the images. Any idea on what may be causing this!?

I'm flustered! please help!!!

Thanks,
Nathan Cowlishaw
cday
XnThusiast

Re: New To Forum, Help Needed with ORF to Jpeg Conversion!

Post by cday »

talkingtree wrote:Hello, I've been trying convert Full size .ORF files to Jpeg but for some reason the software is converting original RAW sizes and downsampling them nearly a 1000 pixels smaller in the jpeg output. It doesn't do this to all of the images, just some of them!? As if there is a bug in the software or something??

Anyways, what I did is I searched for the original RAW file and checked the dimension on my mac and it's bigger than the output file that XNConvert is pumping out on about 30% of the images. Any idea on what may be causing this!?
On the XnConvert Settings tab you have set Load format settings... > Camera RAW > Use > Full size have you?

To troubleshoot any bug, Pierre is likely to need an example of a .ORF file that reproduces correctly and an example of a file that reproduces incorrectly, if you could upload one or more examples somewhere and provide a link. If file size precludes that, perhaps you could provide more information in some other way...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Searching the forum this issue or something similar was reported back in 2007:

Incorrect Image size displayed

I'm not sure to what extent that thread really sheds light on the issue, or whether there has been any further information posted on the subject...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

talkingtree wrote:Hello, I've been trying convert Full size .ORF files to Jpeg but for some reason the software is converting original RAW sizes and downsampling them nearly a 1000 pixels smaller in the jpeg output. It doesn't do this to all of the images, just some of them!? As if there is a bug in the software or something??
talkingtree are you using XnConvert 32-bit or 64-bit? I'm wondering if the pixel dimensions of some of your images mean that the image when opened requires more memory than can be addressed on a 32-bit system??

That's just a guess, but if you have been using XnConvert x32 and are able to run XnConvert x64 you might do a test and report the results; alternatively if you can upload an example image someone else possibly could...

Edit

It looks as if the issue is more fundamental as indicated in this link:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3237175

It looks as if the loss of some pixels at the edges is inherent in the conversion process, but that doesn't explain why some of your images are losing more pixels...