EPS to JPG - Poor Image Quality

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

lpkalin22

EPS to JPG - Poor Image Quality

Post by lpkalin22 »

Hello! When I convert EPS files into JPGs using this software, it makes the files super tiny and pixelated. I've tried using actions to change the DPI and image size, but this only allows me to make the artwork larger (not any clearer). Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!
cday
XnThusiast

Re: EPS to JPG - Poor Image Quality

Post by cday »

lpkalin22 wrote:Hello! When I convert EPS files into JPGs using this software, it makes the files super tiny and pixelated. I've tried using actions to change the DPI and image size, but this only allows me to make the artwork larger (not any clearer). Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!
In the Viewer (not Browser) File > Format settings... :
1.png
Increasing the DPI at which the images is rasterised when the file is opened should be the answer... :D
lpkalin22

Post by lpkalin22 »

Thanks cday! I had actually tried that as well...I think. My menu looks a little different, but I had changed it to 300 here with no luck! :/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 12.13.37 PM.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

lpkalin22 wrote:Thanks cday! I had actually tried that as well...I think. My menu looks a little different, but I had changed it to 300 here with no luck! :/
Your menu looks different in part because in my haste to reply quickly I inadvertently posted for XnViewMP, but you have evidently found the equivalent setting in XnConvert!

But do you now have good quality or still have the problem?
lpkalin22

Post by lpkalin22 »

The hasty reply was much appreciated!! Sadly, it does not seem to have made a difference. Just found the settings menu for the JPG output format which has helped the quality a little but still didn't get me to the correct size. So I put in an action to resize by 200% which has therefore decreased the quality again. Darn! Here's a shot of the JPG settings and a sample EPS to JPG converted file...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 12.26.11 PM.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

lpkalin22 wrote:When I convert EPS files into JPGs using this software, it makes the files super tiny and pixelated.
By 'tiny' do you mean in pixel dimensions, print size or what do you actually need, and does increasing DPI again make matters worse or better?

Could you please confirm that if you are using XnConvert x32 you have Ghostscript x32 installed, or x64 if you are using XnConvert x64?

Could you upload the original EPS file (in a ZIP) and preferably also the resulting JPEG (in the same ZIP if you like)?

[Edited twice.]
lpkalin22

Post by lpkalin22 »

By "tiny" I mean that it is shrinking all the files down to be much smaller than the original artwork. Tried attaching the ZIP but it's 8MB (original EPS is 32MB). Put the resulting JPG in there though (one resized to 200%, the other is the unaltered results I got with the settings from my last message).

Oh good call, I don't have Ghostscript...just tried downloading but am having issues. Doesn't look like you can run it on a Mac. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your continued help!!
Attachments
Test_Files.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 333 times
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

lpkalin22 wrote:...Doesn't look like you can run it on a Mac. Any suggestions?....
Yes - use Windows . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SCNR :wink:

I don't know how Mac is handling EPS, but maybe you can find a workaround like "EPS to PDF to Image to ...."
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
lpkalin22

Post by lpkalin22 »

Peter2 wrote: Yes - use Windows . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SCNR :wink:
Haha! I wish! It's a work computer, so my hands are tied!
Peter2 wrote: I don't know how Mac is handling EPS, but maybe you can find a workaround like "EPS to PDF to Image to ...."
Could you explain your suggestion a little more? Not sure I understand how to do a conversion through multiple file types? Would I have to run it through various times? I need something that can easily be automated and uploaded to an FTP so I don't have to touch it!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

First, apologies for not asking which OS you were using! :wink:

Googling 'Ghostscript Mac' there do seem to be solutions available although as a Windows user the technicalities don't mean much to me, for example this download from a site that I at least recognise:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/206519/Gh ... pt-For-Mac

If you can resolve the Ghostcript issue one way or another, you can then batch convert EPS files using XnConvert and see how they come out, and if necessary work from there...
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

cday wrote:...for example this download from a site that I at least recognise:..
That's interesting: Tucows refers to Sourceforge, which shows version 9.09 and 9.10 and informs that it "is not maintained anymore" and refers to the main-page which offers version 9.19, but not for Mac ....

@lpkalin22
I can not describe my "workaround more detailed". I meant if you can not install Ghostscript one way is to search for a totally different way, independent from XnConvert. Try a software which understand EPS (Gimp?? Inkskape?? Photoshop??) and convert it by hand. But if you have a lot of files this is maybe not the best way...

You mentioned a web-tool - have you searched for it? Maybe you'll find something, but can you trust it?
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Peter2 wrote:
cday wrote:...for example this download from a site that I at least recognise:..
That's interesting: Tucows refers to Sourceforge, which shows version 9.09 and 9.10 and informs that it "is not maintained anymore" and refers to the main-page which offers version 9.19, but not for Mac ....
I think any fairly recent, or even not so recent, version of Ghostscript should do: it mmight pay to Google 'Ghostscript Mac' and read around the subject a bit, not least with the different Mac OSX versions...

Otherwise Peter2 may be able to point you to alternative ways of converting your files.
lpkalin22

Post by lpkalin22 »

cday wrote: Googling 'Ghostscript Mac' there do seem to be solutions available although as a Windows user the technicalities don't mean much to me, for example this download from a site that I at least recognise:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/206519/Gh ... pt-For-Mac
This seems to have done the trick cday!! Appreciate the input from both of you! I'll test a few more and let you know if I run across any further issues.

Have a good one!