Request: Actions > File Operations

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cday
XnThusiast

Re: Request: Actions > File Operations

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:How about a “Reset” action?
Revert to the initial state of the input files and specify a new output directory.
All subsequent actions will be applied to the originals and the results will be saved in a different destination folder.
Interesting insight, but is there actually a need for the "Reset" action?

If the input files are not modified (not deleted or otherwise altered by any setting on the Output tab) then the settings on the Actions and Output tabs can simply be edited as required and Convert pressed again?

In general, will there be any reason to modify the input files?

As the edits required to the Actions and Output settings will probably usually be minor, running three times (for example) with the same input files and only minor changes to the settings should provide a usable workaround pending any eventual integrated solution?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:[…] but is there actually a need for the "Reset" action?
Yes, I think so. HeyYCw is one of many users who're looking for a way “to perform a sequence of actions on a master image and export different versions to multiple destinations” in one go.
Let me give you an example. The following seems to be a typical use case:
juistm (Graphic Design Stack Exchange: [url=http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/16467#question-header]Batch resize and OUTPUT multiple images[/url]) wrote:I need to batch resize multiple images and thats really easy in Photoshop insert a folder and get a output in anther folder.

But i need this to output multiple images of all the images inside the folder is there a way to do this at once?

This is what i want:

Const (Graphic Design Stack Exchange: [url=http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/16467#comments-link-16470]Batch resize and OUTPUT multiple images[/url]) wrote:in CS6 I managed to use Revert as a command in an action:

The trick is to save as a copy through the Save As dialog (or press Ctrl+Alt+S which will force save as a copy mode).
HeyYCw

Post by HeyYCw »

One last thought before I let this go:
In the settings, if there was a "power user" option that displayed an alternate UI (eg the 3-in-1 tab), you could maintain the simple, elegant current UI for existing user-base; but at the same time, expand XnConvert's reach to power-users who have more complex image processing requirements.

Ultimately the underlying functionality between the two views is the same; it's all in how that functionality is channelled through the UI.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

@Pierre: Do you think implementing this…
XnTriq wrote:How about a “Reset” action?
Revert to the initial state of the input files and specify a new output directory.
All subsequent actions will be applied to the originals and the results will be saved in a different destination folder.
… would have a negative effect on user-friendliness?