Renaming with EXIF date and remove metadata

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

maesehn

Renaming with EXIF date and remove metadata

Post by maesehn »

Hi!
As the title implies, i'd like to change filenames of pictures using the date-at-which-the-photograph-was-taken EXIF information (for easy searching) BUT i also want to remove all the metadata (for web sharing).

:arrow: So i set (along with some Resize, Change DPI and Watermark other actions) a "Clean metadata" action in the Actions tab AND a variable filename encoded as follows "{Filename}-{EXIF:Date [Y-m-d]}" in the Output tab. I also checked the "rotate images according to EXIF orientation tag" option in the Settings tab.

:!: When conversion done, i observed everything gone right (even the EXIF rotation) except filenames looking like "IMG_1234-.jpg". Dates are missing! It seems like XnConvert does all the actions first, then removes metadata and eventually renames the files. Problem is there is no metadata left when comes the renaming process...

:?: Am i doing something wrong or is it the normal behaviour of the software?

As for today, i use two scripts as a workaround but you guessed i'd prefer to use a single one, that's the living reason of a batch converter!
Thanks for any help!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Renaming with EXIF date and remove metadata

Post by xnview »

See Issue 911 for details.
Pierre.
maesehn

Re: Renaming with EXIF date and remove metadata

Post by maesehn »

Great! Thanks for your quick testing and fixing!