XnConvert NConvert Not the Same Thing ???

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BuckSkin

XnConvert NConvert Not the Same Thing ???

Post by BuckSkin »

The answer may have been staring me in the face, but I did not see it.

At first glance, I thought XnConvert and NConvert were one and the same; but, I am beginning to think that they are two different programs.

Please explain or point me toward the explanation.

Many thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnConvert NConvert Not the Same Thing ???

Post by cday »

BuckSkin wrote:At first glance, I thought XnConvert and NConvert were one and the same; but, I am beginning to think that they are two different programs.
NConvert is a command line program that Pierre developed first, the 'X' in the names of his later software indicates that they have a visual or 'windowed' interface, I think.

XnConvert is a stand-alone batch conversion program, a very attractive one, and actually now (almost) identical to the batch conversion module in XNView MP.

When I started using XnView 'Classic' I was also slow to discover and understand the other software, and although all the information is now on the home page or accessible from it, I think the different versions and naming can still be slightly confusing.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

Thanks.

So, does XnConvert and NConvert do the same things, just with a different approach; or do they accomplish different things ?

Sorry for so many questions.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

BuckSkin wrote:So, does XnConvert and NConvert do the same things, just with a different approach; or do they accomplish different things ?
NConvert can be used to perform many of the functions available in XnView, not just batch conversions, but as a command line program it is only likely to be of interest to people used to working at the command prompt, as the learning curve can be steep.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

Thanks.

Just looking at the NConvert screenshot gives the impression of a steep learning curve.

I had best stick with the easier stuff for now.