Go folders and subfolder recursively and convert

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

asif62000

Go folders and subfolder recursively and convert

Post by asif62000 »

is there a way to do or script go through my files and folders recursively and convert files?
C:\test\Images

I have file name for example (11DE000426_1) no file extension associated to this file. Since there are about 5000 folders and I don't want to do manually. Is there a way to script

I am using - > XnConvert Version 1.55 - windows (Mar 4 2013) - Libformat version 6.33
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Go folders and subfolder recursively and convert

Post by cday »

asif62000 wrote:is there a way to do or script go through my files and folders recursively and covert files?
C:\test\Images
Could you please clarify what conversion(s) you wish to make?
asif62000 wrote:I have file name for example (11DE000426_1) no file extension associated to this file. Since there are about 5000 folders and I don't want to do manually. Is there a way to script

I am using - > XnConvert Version 1.55 - windows (Mar 4 2013) - Libformat version 6.33
The files have no extension??

Or, if they do have an extension, which extension?
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

Yes the files inside the folders have no extension .txt or .xls or some other extension
I want a script like this
Go folders and subfolder (C:\test\Images) recursively
out put on the source folder with filname - > {Filename} - > Convert multiple file to multiple file -> Preserve meta data
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

There still seems to be some confusion:
asif62000 wrote:Yes the files inside the folders have no extension .txt or .xls or some other extension
The files do not have an extension?? That seems unlikely as software can normally only open files with an extension...

If the files do have extensions, such as .txt or .xls, XnConvert can in general only open image files...
asif62000 wrote:I want a script like this:
Go folders and subfolder (C:\test\Images) recursively
output on the source folder with filename - > {Filename} - > Convert multiple file to multiple file -> Preserve meta data
But what action(s) or conversion(s) do you require, not just open the files recursively and save them again unchanged?
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

Using GUI I am able to drag and drop files and able to convert without any issue

No file extention
No file extention
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

asif62000 wrote:Using GUI I am able to drag and drop files and able to convert without any issue
You just want to move files, to rearrange them in some way??

Maybe someone else can see something I'm missing?
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

I want the out put as shown. i hope I am clear
Picture
Picture
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

asif62000 wrote:I want the out put as shown. i hope I am clear
Capture01.PNG
Thanks, that is clearer, but presumably you also want to set some actions on the Actions tab?

So is your question really whether XnConvert will process files recursively?

Looking at the Input tab I don't see a checkbox for that, and I'm not sure whether selecting a folder or folders automatically results in files in any folder in the selected folder(s) being processed. Unless someone else can say, the simplest thing might be to set up a simple test...
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

If I select the folder files does not appear. I need to drag and drop so that files appear on the input window
I don't want to do anything on ACTION tab
Yes I want XN convert process recursively
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

asif62000 wrote:If I select the folder files does not appear. I need to drag and drop so that files appear on the input window

Yes I want XN convert process recursively
I've made a quick test, very easy to do, and when on the Input tab I select a folder that contains another folder, the files in both the first folder and the second folder are shown on the Input tab window.

And when I set an action on the Actions tab and press Convert, all the files are processed correctly, so the action is automatically recursive...
asif62000 wrote:I don't want to do anything on ACTION tab
I don't understand why you want to process files recursively without applying any actions: with your settings won't the output be the same as the input, nothing will have changed?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Just a side note:
asif62000 wrote:Yes the files inside the folders have no extension .txt or .xls or some other extension ...
It's possible that your image files have no file extension; but as cday mentioned above it would be very surprising if all your files on your computer had no file extensions. Without file extensions Windows wouldn't know which program to start when double-clicking on a file. By default Windows hides the file extensions (trying to make things for user simpler). Please check your settings in Windows Explorer and deactivate: [ ] Hide file extensions for known file types.

See the web for more details, e.g.: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/softw ... s-3341794/
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

You reported in your first post that you are using XnConvert Version 1.55, the latest version is now 1.73, so I would suggest installing that version as it might possibly resolve some of the issues you are having.

helmut wrote:
asif62000 wrote:Yes the files inside the folders have no extension .txt or .xls or some other extension ...
It's possible that your image files have no file extension; but as cday mentioned above it would be very surprising if all your files on your computer had no file extensions. Without file extensions Windows wouldn't know which program to start when double-clicking on a file. By default Windows hides the file extensions (trying to make things for user simpler). Please check your settings in Windows Explorer and deactivate: [ ] Hide file extensions for known file types.

See the web for more details, e.g.: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/softw ... s-3341794/
With XnConvert 1.73, on the Input tab, I have file extensions displayed even with the default Windows setting to hide file extensions, which seems desirable to me, so you might test again with the latest version. [Note that when a filename is long, it is necessary to hover the mouse over the file icon to see the full filename and extension.]

With XnConvert 1.73, on the Input tab, when I use Add folder... and select a folder, files in any folders in the selected folder also seem to be automatically loaded to the Input tab.

I think some of the confusion above may be due to your using an old version of XnConvert and to language problems, but I still don't understand what change you actually wish to obtain...
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

I will try thanks
if I don't use the converter and open the file I get following error
windows photo viewer can't open this file because the file appears to be corrupted, damaged or too large.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

asif62000 wrote:windows photo viewer can't open this file because the file appears to be corrupted, damaged or too large.
You may if you wish upload the file for inspection, current forum attachment limit 2MiB, otherwise upload to a file hosting service and post a link...
asif62000

Post by asif62000 »

The problem here going thro recursively from the root folder C:\test\Images
Please note the conversion works. Once I convert I am able to view the photo in windows photo viewer
The problem here is need to go recursively thro the folders. Please see the picture (include subfofer option doesn't work)
I am not able to upload a file because it is government related files
Iam using XNView 2.36

if you could give your email I can send one file to you and you can have multiple folder and test it
pic
pic
Last edited by asif62000 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.