Opening ai file returns "not a picture"

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

spamme

Opening ai file returns "not a picture"

Post by spamme »

Hello, I'm try to convert a icon set in ai (adobe illustrator) to png, but for XnConveter every ai file is "not a picture".
I have google and found that I have to install ghostscript, but it is still not working, also the "preview" is always a black panel.
I have attached an ai file as example, am I doing something wrong? Or is the ai file format not supported?

Thanks
Attachments
3d_glasses.zip
(367.4 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Convertion from ai to png returns "not a picture"

Post by cday »

spamme wrote:Hello, I'm try to convert a icon set in ai (adobe illustrator) to png, but for XnConveter every ai file is "not a picture".
I have google and found that I have to install ghostscript, but it is still not working, also the "preview" is always a black panel.
I have attached an ai file as example, am I doing something wrong? Or is the ai file format not supported?
Your file 3d_glasses.ai opens in XnView Classic, 'MP and XnConvert [and Adobe Acrobat] as a white rectangle for me, pixel dimensions depending on the DPI value set [in XnConvert in Settings tab > Load format settings...].

Note that if you are using XnConvert 32-bit on a 64-bit operating system, you need Ghostscript 32-bit installed...
spamme

Post by spamme »

Thanks for the reply, but I don't know how to interpret it, you mean that I can't do anything? That XnConverter cannot convert them?
I can open the icons in AI (Adobe Illustrator), but XnConvert shows always the file icon and the preview is black, by the way I have installed Ghostscript.
Attachments
GhostScript.png
XnConvert2.png
XnConvert1.png
AI.png
AI.png (28.79 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Are you using XnConvert 32-bit and if so do you have Ghostscript 32-bit installed?

In AI is the image a white rectangle?
spamme

Post by spamme »

By the way, I have also tested to save the AI file with PDF compatibility in Adobe Illustrator, and I can rename it from .AI to .PDF and open in Adobe PDF reader, but XnConvert can't read even this version.
Attachments
Converted.zip
(794.55 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
spamme

Post by spamme »

cday wrote:Are you using XnConvert 32-bit and if so do you have Ghostscript 32-bit installed?

In AI is the image a white rectangle?
I have installed the 64bit version of XnConvert ... and I think I have installed the 32 bit version of ghostscript ... I try to reinstall it.
spamme

Post by spamme »

I have reinstalled ghostscript, I think I had installed the wrong version, now XnConvert recognizes the file type but the preview is a white box and converting throws the same error "not a picture"
Attachments
XnConvert3.png
spamme

Post by spamme »

Ok, I have found that the saved version with pdf compatibility can be converted form XnConvert, the problem is half solved because now I have to find out, how to batch convert 3600 ai files in ai files with pdf compatibility.
Attachments
XnConvert4.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

spamme wrote:I have installed the 64bit version of XnConvert ... and I think I have installed the 32 bit version of ghostscript ... I try to reinstall it.
If you are using XnConvert 64-bit you need Ghostscript 64-bit, you can install both GS versions at the same time if you wish.

Looking at the screenshots in your earlier post, in AI your .ai file is not a white rectangle, so I'm surprised that Adobe Acrobat (XI) opens the file as a white rectangle rather than as in your image. Possibly different .ai file format versions??
spamme

Re: Opening ai file returns "not a picture"

Post by spamme »

cday wrote:
spamme wrote:I have installed the 64bit version of XnConvert ... and I think I have installed the 32 bit version of ghostscript ... I try to reinstall it.
If you are using XnConvert 64-bit you need Ghostscript 64-bit, you can install both GS versions at the same time if you wish.

Looking at the screenshots in your earlier post, in AI your .ai file is not a white rectangle, so I'm surprised that Adobe Acrobat (XI) opens the file as a white rectangle rather than as in your image. Possibly different .ai file format versions??
The file are a couple of years old, it could be an old format of AI
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Opening ai file returns "not a picture"

Post by cday »

spamme wrote:The files are a couple of years old, it could be an old format of AI
If you Google AI, you will see that there have been alternative file formats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator_Artwork

The AI file format was originally a native format called PGF. PDF compatibility is achieved by embedding a complete copy of the PGF data within the saved PDF format file. This format is not related to .pgf using the same name Progressive Graphics Format.[5]

The same “dual path” approach as for PGF is used when saving EPS-compatible files in recent versions of Illustrator. Early versions of the AI file format are true EPS files with a restricted, compact syntax, with additional semantics represented by Illustrator-specific DSC comments that conform to DSC's Open Structuring Conventions. These files are identical to their corresponding Illustrator EPS counterparts, but with the EPS procsets (procedure sets) omitted from the file and instead externally referenced using %%Include directives.

So possibly a settings issue when the files were saved in AI??