Auto Orientation [Deskew]

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bdragon

Auto Orientation [Deskew]

Post by bdragon »

I oftentimes scan pages of stuff (mostly books i want to clip for ideas later on).

I usually end up re-orienting each page later as it annoys me to see the pages all wonky.

Is there a way to re-orient them in batch? I think in XnView classic there was an auto-orientation option, which i do not see either in XnView MP nor (and this is more important) in XnConvert. Re-orienting eve only 5 or 10 pages takes time. Yes, it might happen just those 2 or 3 times per month, but i just had to do it this morning, and i'd like to know if i missed the XnConvert option to do it automatically and in batch.

Let me know. ;)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Auto Orientation

Post by xnview »

you would like to change orientation of all page from a multipage file?
Pierre.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

Sorry. Rephrasing.

I have multiple different images.

Each image is a "page" as in "page from a book". Each image needs to be re-oriented so that each "line of text" is either "horizontal or vertical" (usually books don't have words at an angle, so if it checks that the vast majority of the text is vertical or horizontal, then it should be okay)

XnView classic had an option for auto-orientation which did that.

XnConvert (and by extension also XnView MP) does not.

Usually i do this for no more than 10 pages once or twice a month, last time it happened was yesterday, but i could see how this would appeal to those that do this every day.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

You're thinking of XnView Classic's Image > Rotate > Auto deskew ?

That has been noted as a missing feature in XnView MP and hopefully will be added soon, and also hopefully added to Batch convert and to XnConvert...
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

It's been years since i've used XnView classic, but as i was correcting the orientation of even just 10 pages the other day it did come back to me that an option was there in the past.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

bdragon wrote: XnView classic had an option for auto-orientation which did that.
which feature do you use?
Pierre.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

At the moment i do not use any kind of auto orientation, because i would have to reinstall the classic xnview which i haven't used in years.

So basically what i am doing at the moment is i just tell xnview to give me the precise orientation tool, use the grid option and slowly go over the various degrees to orient the script untill al the characters line up vertically and horizontally.

It takes a while per each page.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bdragon wrote:At the moment i do not use any kind of auto orientation, because i would have to reinstall the classic xnview which i haven't used in years.

So basically what i am doing at the moment is i just tell xnview to give me the precise orientation tool, use the grid option and slowly go over the various degrees to orient the script untill al the characters line up vertically and horizontally.

It takes a while per each page.
So you are using Image > Rotate > Rotate... to manually straighten images using the grid?

And you, like me, would like an Auto Deskew action to be added to XnView MP? :wink:
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

cday wrote:So you are using Image > Rotate > Rotate... to manually straighten images using the grid?

And you, like me, would like an Auto Deskew action to be added to XnView MP? :wink:
XnConvert specifically, but i suppose that if done for XnConvert it is little more than a copy/paste and adding a couple of dll references to add it to XnView MP.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bdragon wrote:
cday wrote:So you are using Image > Rotate > Rotate... to manually straighten images using the grid?

XnConvert specifically, but I suppose that if done for XnConvert it is little more than a copy/paste and adding a couple of dll references to add it to XnView MP.
Surprise, I've just checked and Image > Auto deskew is already available in XnConvert 1.73... :D

[But I'd still like to see it added to XnView MP's Image > Rotate options... and I imagine it will be soon...]
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

Let me check what it does. I probably missed it because i was searching for a "auto rotation" option not for a "auto de-skewing" option.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

GAH!

Ok, so that's twice that i asked for a feature that was already there.

Is there a 3 strikes rule in this forum ^_^;
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bdragon wrote:GAH!

Ok, so that's twice that i asked for a feature that was already there.

Is there a 3 strikes rule in this forum ^_^;
Another happy XnView user! :)