Is XnView (or XnView MP) intended for video viewing?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Vladimir Snakeyes

Is XnView (or XnView MP) intended for video viewing?

Post by Vladimir Snakeyes »

I am very new to all of this, but when I checked the compatible file formats link for both XnView and XnView MP it seems like they are missing all of the most common video file formats. I cannot find AVI, MP4, or many others.

So is this program really only intended for pictures? When viewing MP4's in either program the thumbnails never appear. Both will play the videos in a very basic player (XnView classic lags considerably). When I select an mp4 file in XnView and try the "Extract Movie Frames" option the popup appears, however no matter what I select for any of the fields, the "Go" button simply never does anything. In order to continue using the program at all I need to hit the "Close" button to exit the popup without ever extracting movie frames.

Am I supposed to be downloading some sort of plugin or addon in order to utilize this feature and to enable thumbnails for these file formats?
Erixx haxx

Re: Is XnView (or XnView MP) intended for video viewing?

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:

It Sounds like you are most likely missing codecs. XnviewMP uses the same codecs as Explorer, so if you don't see thumbs inside Explorer, you won't inside Xnview.

The 2 most common are:
- K-lite -- The Dev recommends This one
- Media Player codec pack with/for MPC. -- I use this one.

Also another option is to add ffmpeg to the plugins folder,
My understanding is that If ffmpeg is not found then program defaults to using codecs instead for thumbs.
Vladimir Snakeyes

Post by Vladimir Snakeyes »

Erixx haxx wrote:Hello:

It Sounds like you are most likely missing codecs. XnviewMP uses the same codecs as Explorer, so if you don't see thumbs inside Explorer, you won't inside Xnview.

The 2 most common are:
- K-lite -- The Dev recommends This one
- Media Player codec pack with/for MPC. -- I use this one.

Also another option is to add ffmpeg to the plugins folder,
My understanding is that If ffmpeg is not found then program defaults to using codecs instead for thumbs.

Thanks for the help. When viewing the MP4's in windows Explorer they each have thumbnails that are visable. I am relatively computer savvy, but am new to this particular field, so if you could provide some more details or a link to more information that would be swell. As I can see the thumbs in Explorer, does that mean that the codecs are not enabled for XnView/XnViewMP? I'm not sure if these are things that are "enabled" on a program to progam basis, or if they are supposed to apply system-wide. If it matters I am the sole user with administrative rights.

Where can I find a list of addons/plugins/etc. for XnViewMP? I have only been able to find a list of addons/plug-ins for the classic version, and I'm given to understand that the programs are sufficiently different that many of these would not work for the MP build.

My last question is in regard to ffmpeg. I downloaded and unzipped the file into the plugins folder, but nothing seems to have changed. Am I supposed to activate the plugin somehow, do I have to rename the folder the unzipped files are in, etc.?
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:

First Off, Whenever you have changed something for rendering the thumbs you might have to use "rebuild thumbs" option. under view. If you missed it.

I use the codecs route because any program that doesn't have them built in, uses direct-show api and needs them installed manually anyways. Once installed any program using direct-show api can share the same codec set. You may need to restart your pc for this also. Also needed if you use QTtabbar for live preview.

The ffmpeg route is less complex, but only works for xnviewmp. Answer, Yes you should only need to extract it inside the plugins folder. Remember to try rebuild thumbs.

I really don't like linking to .exe's because many sites are now putting wrappers around .exe's to force install their own crap.
Here's were I got mine from and was fine when I used them. Keep in mind this was years ago. http://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/
K-lite should be a simple google search ( It's Highly popular) and I'm sure you can determine a trusted site.

Try these options and if you still have problems we can dig deeper.
Hope this helps
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

Vladimir Snakeyes wrote:Am I supposed to be downloading some sort of plugin or addon in order to utilize this feature and to enable thumbnails for these file formats?
Unless you're desperate to use XnView for video, don't bother. There are much more advanced and free video players like PotPlayer out there - and crucially, they often use internal codecs rather than simply rely on DirectShow.

In any case, do not use some obscure codec packs that trash your system but "one includes all" LAV Filters: https://www.fosshub.com/LAV-Filters.html
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Another reason, Everyone has a preference. Remember the codec wars.

You can set xnviewmp to open in whatever player you like. Option>> File list>> Custom filter
Then you can use xnview to organize and preview. Potplayer is great, I use it, just doesn't organize video very well.