How to generate thumbnail and preview SWF files?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cadu

How to generate thumbnail and preview SWF files?

Post by cadu »

Hi,

In XnView MP (0.83) there is no thumbnail or preview for SWF files, as showed in this snapshot (http://i.imgur.com/7ErN8Dt.png).

Is there any way to generate thumbnail and preview SWF files?

Thanks,
Carlos
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: How to generate thumbnail and preview SWF files?

Post by XnTriq »

Hi Carlos

You have to distinguish between SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) and SWF (Shockwave Flash) formats. While SVG is supported by XnView MP, you'll need additional software to enable its browser to display thumbnails of SWF files.
  • Eltima: SWF Live Preview
    “SWF Live Preview enables thumbnails view for Flash files and lets you browse through Flash SWF and Projector EXE movies more quickly and conveniently using standard Explorer.”
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Installing Nikolay Raspopov's Shockwave Flash user plugin for XnView Classic and the 32-bit edition of XnView MP:
  1. Download xswf_1.2.0.0.zip from CherubicSoft.
  2. Extract the ZIP archive and move Xswf.usr to the plugins subdirectory of your XnView installation.
Related topics:
cadu

Post by cadu »

Hi XnTriq,

Many thanks for all information! I tried the suggested methods and "Installing Nikolay Raspopov's Shockwave Flash user plugin for XnView Classic and the 32-bit edition of XnView MP" worked perfectly.

I would appreciate a clarification from you:

a) I've been using XnView MP x64, but because of the flash preview I'm going to stick with x32 now. In relation to x64, is there any practical disadvantage of XnView MP x32?

b) Is the .ini file from XnView MP x64 compatible with x32? It's because I made lots of customization in x64 and I would like to transfer all the settings to x32.

c) Also, are the Catalog (.db), thumbnails database, and other files (layout.dat, .keys, .bar, etc) compatible between XnView MP x64 compatible with x32?

Best,
Carlos
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

1. On a 64-bit OS, I'd always go for the 64-bit version of any software due to the advantages in terms of performance etc.
    That said, many of the “extensions” (i.e. add-ons & plug-ins) for XnView Classic are currently only available in 32-bit form, and therefore they're not compatible with the 64-bit edition of MP.
    You may also want to take into consideration that there are very few 64-bit TWAIN drivers for scanners available. However, Pierre has announced that he's going to provide a solution to circumvent this problem.
  2. I don't think that you'll run into any issues, but you should make a backup of your xnview.ini.
  3. I don't know for sure. Pierre? (As far as I know, Tools » Settings... » Catalog » Tools » Import XnView category db... can only be used for migrating Classic's category.db to MP.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cadu wrote: b) Is the .ini file from XnView MP x64 compatible with x32? It's because I made lots of customization in x64 and I would like to transfer all the settings to x32.

c) Also, are the Catalog (.db), thumbnails database, and other files (layout.dat, .keys, .bar, etc) compatible between XnView MP x64 compatible with x32?
yes
Pierre.
cadu

Post by cadu »

Thanks Everybody for all information!!!