Can't Remove Onedrive Link

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

nezudomo

Can't Remove Onedrive Link

Post by nezudomo »

I had an issue where everytime I'd open XnView MP after a reboot, Windows 10 Onedrive would pop up and want me to enable it. I don't use Onedrive in Windows 10, so I uninstalled the program from Control Panel, then used the registry settings talked about here in order to remove the Onedrive link from Explorer, and deleted the file directly under the C:\Users\[USER] directory.

In spite of that, the link is still appearing in the XnView MP explorer tree.
Capture of XnView MP and explorer side by side
Capture of XnView MP and explorer side by side
It's no longer trying to start Onedrive when I start XnView MP, so the issue is basically fixed, but I don't understand where XnView MP is getting this link from if I've deleted all references to OneDrive on my system, in theory. Has anyone run into this?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Can't Remove Onedrive Link

Post by XnTriq »

Hi and welcome to the forum, nezudomo.

Please try this:
  1. Go to ToolsSettings...CatalogCache maintenance.
  2. Select the folder in question and hit the Delete button.
nezudomo

Post by nezudomo »

I couldn't find the OneDrive directory in the Cache Maintenance section. I went ahead and deleted all the entries, just to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't. I also did a search for "OneDrive" on my PC and did find a OneDrive directory under C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\, but all it contained were old text logs and such. I renamed it to "old_OneDrive" just to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.

While I was poking around, I went ahead and also deleted everything under C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP to see if that might change anything (that's where I setup my catalog and ini file). It did reset everything, but it still has the OneDrive link in the file directory tree.

I just don't see where it's finding a reference to OneDrive at this point.
helmut

Post by helmut »

To me it looks as if OneDrive is still (partly) active on your computer. OneDrive is a Windows service and part of Windows 10 and I just learnt that in newer Windows 10 versions you can uninstall it. I've just tried myself and it didn't change anything; OneDrive is still shown in the Windows Explorer and in XnView. I guess we both have to dig more...
nezudomo

Post by nezudomo »

All right, I dug around in the registry and this is what I found:
OneDrive registry information entry
OneDrive registry information entry
I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about Windows to know what all these DWORDs are used for or or how the windows shell interprets them, but something in here causes the OneDrive folder to be seen by the XnView MP file explorer, even though everything else about that service is deleted and gone. I deleted the entire {018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6} key and all of its subkeys, and XnView no longer shows an entry for OneDrive in the file explorer panel.

It would be nice if someone could come along and explain what it is in whichever subkey that causes XnView to display the folder as browsable in the explorer pane so that instead of deleting the entire key, we could simply tweak a value to turn it off. But in the meantime, deleting the key seems to do the trick.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi,

I don't have Win 10, but if OneDrive runs as a service you would probably have to kill it and then the reg. related to it.

I'd be careful on x64 machines because I'm pretty sure Win x64 use's Symbolic links in the reg. and creates keys, maybe a whole hive, When user logs on.
I can't remember. But It has to do with the x64 os. You might see it come back after a reboot too.

You might find something on stack overflow or windows site
Last edited by Erixx haxx on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugmenot

Post by hugmenot »

Disabling OneDrive will lockup XnViewMP for ~5 minutes when using 'Browse With XnView' on a path starting with C:\ or starting the App if the default/last path was C:\...

From a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update, XnViewMP 0.84 and OneDrive disabled using O&O Shutup.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

hugmenot wrote:Disabling OneDrive will lockup XnViewMP for ~5 minutes when using 'Browse With XnView' on a path starting with C:\ or starting the App if the default/last path was C:\...

From a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update, XnViewMP 0.84 and OneDrive disabled using O&O Shutup.
and no problem with XnView Classic?
Pierre.
hugmenot

Post by hugmenot »

xnview wrote: and no problem with XnView Classic?
No problems with Classic.

When disabling OneDrive a reboot in necessary to see the problem, but enabling fixes it immediately. On next run MP will show Setup OneDrive nag screen.