Filter images by camera model?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

drjenk

Filter images by camera model?

Postby drjenk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 am

How do I do this? I can't seem to find how, thanks

helmut

Re: Filter images by model?

Postby helmut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

Thank you for registering to the XnView forum and thank you for your request, drjenk.

drjenk wrote:How do I do this? I can't seem to find how, thanks
What do you mean by filtering by model? Do you mean the file format of the images (JPEG, GIF, PNG, ...)?

drjenk

Postby drjenk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am

I mean by camera model. I actually found it in the "search" dialog, which took a minute or two on a single folder. But I was more hoping for a "filter by" model to kind of display it quicker, like a database would offer. Isn't the exif data stored in a database with this application? Or do I just need to add my collection to the database, perhaps I haven't somehow?

m.Th.
XnThusiast

Postby m.Th. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm

drjenk wrote:I mean by camera model. I actually found it in the "search" dialog, which took a minute or two on a single folder. But I was more hoping for a "filter by" model to kind of display it quicker, like a database would offer. Isn't the exif data stored in a database with this application? Or do I just need to add my collection to the database, perhaps I haven't somehow?

:D :D :D

From which DAM do you come? Welcome among us!

Some background info (skip it if you want):

XnView MP is much much faster and scalable than other DAMs on the market (that is it can handle huge catalogs without speed problems). One of the main reasons is that its DB backend isn't a huge forest of fields which store any bit of metadata in fat tables with the hope that someone somewhere will do such a search (yes, Lightroom, I'm looking at you).

XnView stores the metadata but in another way (in a blob) which isn't suitable for large searches on such fields, for the time being. Even if we have plans for a better architecture - even now you can find what you want but not by Filtering but by Sorting.

How to do it:

1. Make sure that you have the files which you want to sort in the Thumbs pane: go to a folder, Show all files (recursive), do a search, filter by category(ies), rating etc.

2. Show the files as a table by going to View > View As > Details

3. Click on the header of column "Model" to sort them.

4. Show the files back as thumbs (if you want)

5. Enjoy! :D
m. Th.

The Ascetic Experience - The best photos and texts from Holy Mountain (Athos)

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 0.86 64bit & XnView 2.00 x64 on Win7 x64 -

Return to “MP - General Support”