How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

dandv

How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Post by dandv »

In the Browser, you can assign categories by pressing F9 to focus the Categories panel. But that doesn't work when viewing an image.

If I right click and choose Properties -> Categories, I get a completely useless read-only list of all categories, with checkboxes that can't be checked, and no auto-completion.

Is this a huge oversight or am I missing something? Isn't this a common workflow - go through each image and tag it with categories?

I've defined shortcuts for certain categories, and they don't work either.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Post by m.Th. »

In the Browser, you can assign categories by pressing F9 to focus the Categories panel. But that doesn't work when viewing an image.
Unfortunately
If I right click and choose Properties -> Categories, I get a completely useless read-only list of all categories, with checkboxes that can't be checked, and no auto-completion.
Yes
Is this a huge oversight or am I missing something?
The former.
Isn't this a common workflow - go through each image and tag it with categories?
It is. Let us put some pressure on Pierre.

However, you can have two solutions here:

1. Have a two monitor setup (this will help you a lot for many things, not only XnView related) and put the FullScreen mode on the 2nd monitor. Then this will act as a very powerful preview for your image.

2. Go to View | Layout and choose one of the layouts with big previews like one of the Filmstrips or check the Free option and drag and drop the panes in order to do a layout suitable to your needs. You can save it after. Something like this:
Categories layout.jpg
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
carfesh

Re: How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Post by carfesh »

I'm sorry to dig up such an old thread; I'm a new user, and maybe I'm missing something. I'd like to use the categories more, but I find it very weird that they cannot be assigned from the image browser. This is like the #1 feature I would like to have, as I don't have multiple monitors and would find it very helpful to be able to achieve this from within the viewer - especially since when leaving the viewer, I'm not aware of a quick way to jump to the last image that was viewed.

Is there any chance that the ability to assign categories from within it might be implemented at some point?