How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

dandv

How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Postby dandv » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 am

In the Browser, you can assign categories by pressing F9 to focus the Categories panel. But that doesn't work when viewing an image.

If I right click and choose Properties -> Categories, I get a completely useless read-only list of all categories, with checkboxes that can't be checked, and no auto-completion.

Is this a huge oversight or am I missing something? Isn't this a common workflow - go through each image and tag it with categories?

I've defined shortcuts for certain categories, and they don't work either.

m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: How can I assign categories from the viewer?

Postby m.Th. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 am

In the Browser, you can assign categories by pressing F9 to focus the Categories panel. But that doesn't work when viewing an image.

Unfortunately

If I right click and choose Properties -> Categories, I get a completely useless read-only list of all categories, with checkboxes that can't be checked, and no auto-completion.

Yes

Is this a huge oversight or am I missing something?

The former.

Isn't this a common workflow - go through each image and tag it with categories?

It is. Let us put some pressure on Pierre.

However, you can have two solutions here:

1. Have a two monitor setup (this will help you a lot for many things, not only XnView related) and put the FullScreen mode on the 2nd monitor. Then this will act as a very powerful preview for your image.

2. Go to View | Layout and choose one of the layouts with big previews like one of the Filmstrips or check the Free option and drag and drop the panes in order to do a layout suitable to your needs. You can save it after. Something like this:

Categories layout.jpg
m. Th.

The Ascetic Experience - The best photos and texts from Holy Mountain (Athos)

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 0.86 64bit & XnView 2.00 x64 on Win7 x64 -

Return to “MP - General Support”