No Video Thumbnails

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: helmut, XnTriq, xnview

No Video Thumbnails

Postby chris j » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi, newby here, just installed XnViewMP Version 0.84 x64 on W7 64, hoping to get thumbnails of pictures and videos, but all videos (mp4, MTS) show the icon of the program associated with them (VLC), if i click on them, yet they open in XnView, (after a message about RGB 8 bit conversion) instead of VLC.
Is there a way of seeing video thumbnails and have them open in the associated program and not XnView ?
chris j

Re: No Video Thumbnails

Postby Erixx haxx » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Hello:

I'm not too sure about Xnviews default mode "QTAV", but I believe you need ffmpeg.exe inside the addon folder.

I use codecs aka direct show instead. You need to change videomode=false to =true, under general section of the .ini file.
If still no thumbs, that means your missing codecs, like k-lite. just install these and restart your pc.
also sometimes changing .exe association back and forth fixes this too.

To open in vlc you need to set options in filelist>> custom filter. or right click open in.
Windows 7 Ultimate, x64-bit (SP 1) XnViewMP x64 v0.85-b-2 Port
ASUSTek P8Z77-v
i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: x16.0 GB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 @ 1177 MHz
Dedicated: 4096 MB GDDR5
Erixx haxx

Postby helmut » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:56 pm

chris j wrote:... Is there a way of seeing video thumbnails and have them open in the associated program and not XnView ?

Please check "Show as Thumbnail" for type "Video" in Tools » Settings | Browser » File list | Custom Filter.
helmut

Postby chris j » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks Erixx, I have no special codecs installed as all my editing programs, (Vegas, AfterFX) or viewer (VLC) work without,
So you're saying codec packs have to be installed, I've always read this was a bad idea.

and "Open with associated program" option now set, cheers!

@helmut : That's it, working now! thanks!!
chris j

Return to MP - General Support