Win10: Slow startup, configuration not remembered

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

dazworker

Win10: Slow startup, configuration not remembered

Post by dazworker »

Hi,
I'm having two issues with XnViewMP (0.84 x64) on Windows 10 (Home, all updates installed).

First:
slow startup. Opening an image (normal small jpg and png files) from the Desktop or Explorer takes about 5 seconds. I have a new Acer laptop with a recent i5 CPU (i5-6267U), 16GB of RAM and a SSD. The Windows image viewer and IrfanView open the files instantly.

Second problem:
XnViewMP doesn't remember my toolbar configuration. Both in the Image Browser and when viewing an image, the toolbar is always reset to default when the program starts. There are no problems with other settings, it is just the toolbar that is constantly reset.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. Please let me know if I can provide any more information.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Two issues on Win10

Post by m.Th. »

hummm.... rights problem?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

In Settings » Integration » Paths, what do you have?
Pierre.
dazworker

Post by dazworker »

xnview wrote:In Settings » Integration » Paths, what do you have?
Some of those were set to the program folder. I changed them to my user folder, everything works fine now (both problems are gone). Thanks for the quick help :)

(Still confused though... I never touched those settings, and never had problems like these on any other computers, including with Win10. I had used the normal installer and installed to the default Program Files location btw... like always)
xnview-support

Re: Win10: Slow startup, configuration not remembered

Post by xnview-support »

Using XnView MP 0.86 on Windows 10 Pro.

I too am seeing extremely slow XnView startup times. This did not occur prior to XnView updates a few months ago, but ever since then the app can take 5-10 seconds to open to view a photo. This defeats the purpose of using the app.

I checked and Integration » Paths are set to user folders (default locations).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

xnview-support wrote:Using XnView MP 0.86 on Windows 10 Pro.

I too am seeing extremely slow XnView startup times. This did not occur prior to XnView updates a few months ago, but ever since then the app can take 5-10 seconds to open to view a photo. This defeats the purpose of using the app.

I checked and Integration » Paths are set to user folders (default locations).
No problem with 0.85? do you have multiple tabs?
Pierre.
quartzie

Post by quartzie »

I have very slow loading times in folders with lots of pictures. XnviewMP opens full screen, shows white and navigation for a few seconds until the picture loads.

A photo takes about 5-10 seconds to display if I open it from my camera roll folder using explorer, but if I move the same file to an empty folder elsewhere, it opens within 1 second.

My camera roll folder syncs to my SSD via cloud with my smartphone, but the same problem appears whenever I have over ~1000 images in a folder.

Using 0.86 on Win10
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

quartzie wrote:I have very slow loading times in folders with lots of pictures. XnviewMP opens full screen, shows white and navigation for a few seconds until the picture loads.

A photo takes about 5-10 seconds to display if I open it from my camera roll folder using explorer, but if I move the same file to an empty folder elsewhere, it opens within 1 second.

My camera roll folder syncs to my SSD via cloud with my smartphone, but the same problem appears whenever I have over ~1000 images in a folder.

Using 0.86 on Win10
same with 0.87? How many files do you have in the folder?
Pierre.