Cannot set XnView MP 0.85 as a default app on Windows 10 Creators Update

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tf2_anon

Cannot set XnView MP 0.85 as a default app on Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by tf2_anon »

Hi, I did a clean installation of Windows for the newest update and now I cant find XnView MP on the default apps list. It used to work fine on the Anniversary Update.

One thing to note is that, if I manually switch the associated file extensions from the Photos app to XnView MP, it will show up immediately as the default viewer. However, if I click on the default viewer list, XnView MP will still not be there. Also, upon restarting, Windows will set the Photos app as default again.

As a side note, I used the complete x64 setup.

UPDATE:
Shutting down and turning the power back on solved the problem on one of my PCs. Simple restarts had no effects. However, the problem still persists (even after a shutdown) on my second PC. I did a clean install of Windows on both PCs.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Cannot set XnView MP 0.85 as a default app on Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by xnview »

and before the update you had XnViewMP in default app list?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i have tried on a clean Windows 10 creators update, and XnViewMP is shown as default app
Pierre.
tf2_anon

Post by tf2_anon »

It seems it happens when there are multiple user accounts.
I tried it on my laptop (clean install, single user): everything is fine.
I tried it on my sister's laptop and on my desktop PC (clean install, multiple users): it doesnt shows up in the default photo viewer list or it takes a while to show up (even on SSDs).

UPDATE:
Ok, found a solution. You have to run XnView MP as admin, then go to Settings, go to Integration and click on Set file associations...
It will show the message that you need to go to Windows Settings, but if you check, this time XnView MP will be in the default Photo Viewers list.
I dont know if this is an expected behavior but, as I told you, XnView MP wouldnt show up otherwise.
jorgeviola

Post by jorgeviola »

Unfortunately, your method doesn't work for me. I will update as soon as I find a way to make it my default program.
jorgeviola

Post by jorgeviola »

I finally gave up on Win10 vs XnViewMP and Win10 won. I reinstalled XnView 2.45 and Win10 had no problems finding and associating graphics files with the Standard installation.

I have ANOTHER problem, tho. When I open a normal jpg or png file everything is fine. When I drag and drop another file onto the XnView desktop and click on the Window to Tile the two (or more) files, it gives equal space to each file. Fine. However, my ability to grab an edge of either graphics file does not work. XnView always divides the space equally. I used to be able to resize open files on the fly. Is there a way to get that ability back? Can you point me in the correct direction

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

no sorry not possible
Pierre.
pv7721

Post by pv7721 »

I had the exact same problem for XnView classic, maybe something is missing in order to list the XnView classic in the list of application that handle images.

1) First step is the most tedious one: you need to start checking application associations by file extension, and for the most important you'll see XnView listed

2) Once you've done that, you'll notice that the default association to the Windows application has disappeared, but XnView is still not listed

3) You'll need to launch once XnView as administrator, and voila it's now listed!

But IMHO it should not be so complicated, as I was logged in as an user with Administrative rights...
cadu

Post by cadu »

pv7721 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:54 pm I had the exact same problem for XnView classic, maybe something is missing in order to list the XnView classic in the list of application that handle images.

1) First step is the most tedious one: you need to start checking application associations by file extension, and for the most important you'll see XnView listed

2) Once you've done that, you'll notice that the default association to the Windows application has disappeared, but XnView is still not listed

3) You'll need to launch once XnView as administrator, and voila it's now listed!

But IMHO it should not be so complicated, as I was logged in as an user with Administrative rights...
I had to perform this procedure to set XnView MP 0.92 as the default app on Windows 10. Thanks for sharing.
It worked properly, but it would be easier if XnView MP was listed as a Photo app without the need of workarounds for that.