Joining Images in XNViewMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

hmir

Joining Images in XNViewMP

Post by hmir »

Hello guys!

I have about 100 portrait images that I would like to join in sets of 3 per image.

So for example if I have file1.jpg, file2.jpg, file3.jpg, file4.jpg, file5.jpg, file6.jpg - I would like to join them with the final output being two files each containing three images side by side in horizontal.

Now I know how to do this, but my question is, how can I do this in an automated way? I can create a joined image by selecting three images, and then saving, and then selecting three more images, and then saving, but I would like to select 100 images and let xnview create the joined images automatically.

Is it possible to do this?

Thank you,
Mir
masterjp

Re: Joining Images in XNViewMP

Post by masterjp »

I think there is a function to create your pictures with 3 portrait photos in a row.
Do all pictures have the same pixel size in height and width?

Try the contact sheet function (Menue create => contact sheet).

First select all the portrait photos in your directory.
Then click on the contact sheet function in the create menue.

Select Thumbnails per page 1 x 3.

For Sheet width and height you have to calculate the correct size.
Last edited by masterjp on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC: Intel 8700k + Asus Z370-F + 16 GB RAM G.Skill + Asus RTX 3050 OC + Samsung SSD
GFX: XN-View 2.51.5 | XnViewMP 1.6.5 | XnConvert 1.100.1 | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024 | Elements XXL 11 | Paint.Net
hmir

Post by hmir »

Hi masterjp,

Thanks for the tip. The contact sheet has two main sections. Sheet and thumbnail. The thumbnail section isn't useful because it scales down the images, does not retain original size or quality.

The Sheet section is more useful, but I am unsure of the DPI setting value. What kind of DPI setting would I be setting in terms of retaining original quality?

Thanks, Mir
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

In the Browser you have Create > Join images... which would be the tool to use to do what you want manually, but I don't see any way to automate joining images in three's as you originally requested...

If joining images was supported in Batch convert you could at least automate the settings required to join three files you've loaded, and then load your files in three's, but it isn't as far as I can see. :(

Similarly, joining images isn't suported in the command line program NConvert as far as I can see, which might possibly have enabled you to script the whole process. :(

Edit:

There might actually be a way of doing what you want using NConvert, by loading the first image, extending the canvas, watermarking the second image onto the new canvas, then extending the canvas again and watermarking the third image onto the new canvas, and putting a loop around that process to repeat it for the other images in three's.

I like a challenge, but I've got other things to do at the moment!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

For what it's worth, although the command line utility NConvert doesn't currently support joining images directly, I can now confirm that NConvert can be used to join images in a batch file, by first extending the canvas and then using the watermark function, twice in this case:

Image_1.png
Developing the above 'proof of concept' demo into a batch file to provide a general solution to the problem originally posed would take significant extra time, and I have other things I need to do at the moment... :wink: