0.85 x86: Reload doesn't reload Comment for view.

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dominius

0.85 x86: Reload doesn't reload Comment for view.

Post by Dominius »

I have {Comment} as the last tag visible in ordinary window mode and Full-screen. When I write a JPEG comment to a file fro the command line (usually Exiftool 10.10) with XnView running, then select "Reload" from the File menu, I don't see the new Comment. But I do in the Browser. Am I missing some dependencies, or is it a bug in the application?

I installed MP from the repos using apt-get. Some time afterward, I installed something that UN-installed quite a few items, some of which looked vaguely graphics-related. This is why I ask the first question now.

Dominius.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85 x86: Reload doesn't reload Comment for view.

Post by xnview »

you means the 'Info'? I can't reproduce, when reloading the image, info is updated
Pierre.
Dominius

Post by Dominius »

xnview wrote:you means the 'Info'? I can't reproduce, when reloading the image, info is updated
It used to, and is Supposed To, reload it in viewer when I <File><Reload> the image. It doesn't do that. Why it would appear instantly in Browser mode is something I can't explain either. This still happens after I've purged and reinstalled 0.85 from the repos.

D.
Dominius

Post by Dominius »

This same flaw persists in .86. "Open" pictures do not update with comments/new comments written from the command line, when "File>Reload is 'run,' but pictures left "closed" in the Browser (or the same picture/s as seen in the Browser) will update with the changed/new comments if i click "View>Rebuild thumbnails." This is very frustrating, and I can't see why this last action should be necessary, as gthumb (version 3.4.3) has no problem instantly updating this field.

D.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dominius wrote:This same flaw persists in .86. "Open" pictures do not update with comments/new comments written from the command line, when "File>Reload is 'run,' but pictures left "closed" in the Browser (or the same picture/s as seen in the Browser) will update with the changed/new comments if i click "View>Rebuild thumbnails." This is very frustrating, and I can't see why this last action should be necessary, as gthumb (version 3.4.3) has no problem instantly updating this field.
You open a picture file in edit mode, change the comment outside XnView, and choose File>Reload, and comment is not changed?
Pierre.
Dominius

Post by Dominius »

xnview wrote:
Dominius wrote:This same flaw persists in .86. "Open" pictures do not update with comments/new comments written from the command line, when "File>Reload is 'run,' but pictures left "closed" in the Browser (or the same picture/s as seen in the Browser) will update with the changed/new comments if i click "View>Rebuild thumbnails." This is very frustrating, and I can't see why this last action should be necessary, as gthumb (version 3.4.3) has no problem instantly updating this field.
You open a picture file in edit mode, change the comment outside XnView, and choose File>Reload, and comment is not changed?
Exactly.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have tried the 0.87 beta?
Pierre.
Dominius

Post by Dominius »

Well, it's been more than a year, and the version I now have installed is 0.89. The problem persists, but I'm now inclined to think it's my system hardware (Dell Inspiron 1720, 2GB RAM). Mainly because, in the interim versions, installed from debs here and on the Ubuntu repositories, the issue remained as I described it.

D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and with 0.92?
Pierre.