When DNG opened in fullscreen, does XnView change DNG content/RGB?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cadu

When DNG opened in fullscreen, does XnView change DNG content/RGB?

Post by cadu »

Hi,

When I open a DNG file in XnView fullscreen, always the following message is appearing:
"this picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component".
What does it mean?
Is XnView changing the DNG content?

Thanks for information!
Carlos_Cadu

cday
XnThusiast

Re: When DNG opened in fullscreen, does XnView change DNG content/RGB?

Post by cday »

cadu wrote:When I open a DNG file in XnView fullscreen, the following message always appears:
"This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component".
What does it mean?
Is XnView changing the DNG content?
The image will be opened as RGB 8-bits per pixel as XnView software currently (and as far as I know for the foreseeable future) only processes images at 8 bits per pixel...

But your original DNG file will only be altered if you resave the opened image to the same filename and extension -- if there is any risk of doing that accidentally, it might be best to only open copies of your original files.
cadu

Post by cadu »

Thanks for reply cday.
Although my issue is when opening image in fullscreen, I also tried to edit a DNG file in XnView and it can't.
I mean, the message "This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component" seems inoffensive when I open image in fullscreen, just a "read" operation XnView is performing, but it can't harm/affect the DNG content actually.
Is this understanding right?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

cadu wrote:I mean, the message "This picture will be converted to RGB with 8bits per component" seems inoffensive when I open image in fullscreen, just a "read" operation XnView is performing, but it can't harm/affect the DNG content actually.
Is this understanding right?
Yes, as long as you don't resave the file the original will not be changed.
cadu wrote:Although my issue is when opening image in fullscreen, I also tried to edit a DNG file in XnView and it can't.
I've been trying to check if there has been a recent post on that subject but haven't been able to find one, and I've also been unable to quickly check if there is a plug-in required... :wink: