Categorize by event? ITPC?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

3x5

Categorize by event? ITPC?

Post by 3x5 »

I am in the process of moving away from Shotwell and using XnView exclusively. In shotwell, you can browse by event, and this goes Year, Month, Event Name. I find this the be a useful way to organize my personal photos, like family photos.

I know that there is an ITPC field called 'event' for this kind of categorization, but I don't see this field when I go to edit ITPC data in XnView. Is there a way to get a similar effect?

Even being able to browse by Year/Month the photo was created could be helpful. Is there any way to do this?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Categorize by event? ITPC?

Post by xnview »

3x5 wrote:I know that there is an ITPC field called 'event' for this kind of categorization, but I don't see this field when I go to edit ITPC data in XnView. Is there a way to get a similar effect?
Could you send a file with this field?
Even being able to browse by Year/Month the photo was created could be helpful. Is there any way to do this?
not yet
Pierre.
3x5

Post by 3x5 »

I don't know that I have a file with this data in it. I just saw online that there is such a thing as itpc 'event' field. I think shotwell just uses its own database to categorize by events.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

[quote="Steve Wright (Exiv2 Forum → "Pulling out" the value of one IPTC tag?)"]FixtureId is an IPTC field. It corresponds to "Event" in iView Media Pro, and to "JobId" in XnView. I've got a PDF file * that lists a few applications and what they "label" the standard and extended IPTC v.4.0 metadata tags, so if you name an application that allows one to view IPTC fields I could probably look it up in this file and tell you what it's called. Of course, not being in journalism, I use it in a somewhat different way than how it was intended.[/quote]
* iptc_core_mapped.pdf
Silversleeves (IrfanView Support Forum → [url=http://www.irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?p=31777#post31777]In XnView you get more IPTC (and more than Just IPTC)[/url]) wrote:Somewhere on this forum there's a thread where I made the request that one last IPTC metadata tag be added to the read/write of IrfanView. That tag is officially designated "Fixture Identifier" in the IIM v.4 list, but I've seen it called such things as Event and JobId in different GUI apps. It's always struck me as odd that IrfanView doesn't read this one in at all.

Well, guess what? XnView does. Along with just about every known, or at any rate commonly-used in the relevant professions and trades, EXIF tag and even raw XML.

I'd give XnView another look, were I gt13013. It doesn't take one long to get accustomed to another application solution, especially one so similar in features to IrfanView.
Silversleeves (XnView Forum → [url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19315&p=85822#p85822]Load/Save slideshow list to a text file?[/url]) wrote:Where IrfanView falls down, for me, is that it will not read in the IPTC Core "Fixture Identifier" tag, called "Event" in MS Expression Media 2, "Job Identifier" in XnView and Photoshop, and by its original name in Apple Aperture and ACDSee Pro 2 and 3.