Methods to view/browse photolibrary

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Bury

Methods to view/browse photolibrary

Post by Bury »

Hello everyone!

Great software - thanks! Since I'm also a developer, I would like to thank you to share your work with us for free!

I have a question that's maybe beyond the scope of your program. I would like to use it to tidy up my folder-/filesystem-based photo library. Therefore, it is really great. But my question is the follwoing: In what way do I present my photos to other people or share it? As far as I know till now, I rely on this program and I have no option to browse the photolib through my iPhone / iPad / webbrowser etc. When I use one device except the window/linux/mac-PC I have to use a filesystem-browser and I can't filter by tags etc. pp. So I also have to sort my library on filesystem-base by folders like "Holidays - Italy 2017". Am I right? Or is there a viewer app somewhere?

Or do I have to write back the categories/tags to the file and hope/rely on some viewer-apps (in cloud, in iOS, Androis) that do offer the same sort/filter-opportunity like xnView on "real" PCs?

And beside all these questions: What do you suggest how to store/save (or even sort) photos on file-level. One big folder for all photos, or on per device? etc.

I hope you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Methods to view/browse photolibrary

Post by xnview »

Currently it's not possible if the device is not recognized as a drive
And beside all these questions: What do you suggest how to store/save (or even sort) photos on file-level. One big folder for all photos, or on per device? etc.
For me, it's better to have one month/year by folder
Pierre.
Bury

Post by Bury »

Hello, thanks for your answer.

I think you got me wrong. When I use your software (what I plan to do), I create cataloges, tags etc. I can use your software to filter,search etc. Everything fine.

But how can I use your program to export this virtual database (cataloges/tags) to the filesystem, so that I can view/display my photos on Raspberry/Living-Room HTPC/mobile etc. without having just one big folder with all images.

When I tidy up with your software, all these filters etc are in your program. But I can't use this program on a raspberry etc. And when a friend want to see my pics from Italy 2017 I couldn't show him. So I'm looking for a way to "reflect" the virtual tags/cataloges to the filesystem or sth. like this.

I hope you understand, what I mean.

Thanks again.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oh ok :) you need to store rating/label/keyword in XMP metadata, settings>Metadata
Perhaps it's already the case?
Pierre.
Bury

Post by Bury »

Yes thanks, I just found this option.

Is there a possibility to export all files to the filesystem in that way that the folder-structure reflects the tags? E.g., when I have 40 Files. 10 tagged with Italy 2017, 10 with dogs, 20 with family -> could I export them to the Folders "Italy 2017", "Dogs", "Family"? Problem is: Only the PC (windows, linux, mac) can run your program which can read your database. Other devices like my iPhone, my living-room-media-center etc. can't read/display/sort/filter these tags. So on these devices I would just have many folders with around 200-500 pics sorted by date - nothing more.