Duplicated pictures

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

alobo

Duplicated pictures

Post by alobo »

I copied (with the MacOS Finder) picture files that were filed already in XnView MP and then copied them to a new directory,
filed them again and deleted the former directory (yes, a silly thing to do, I'm just a beginner...). Is there any way to
eliminate all files of the former directory from the database? Is there a way to search for duplicated files?
Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Duplicated pictures

Post by xnview »

you can check in settings>catalog>optimize
Pierre.
alobo

Post by alobo »

xnview wrote:you can check in settings>catalog>optimize
Done, thanks. I selected
Remove data from empty directory
Remove data from orphaned directory
Remove data from orphaned files

(It would be good having a written description of what the different options actually do, this is kind of sensible operation)

I do not have the thumbnails corresponding to the files in the no longer existing folder, but by some reason I keep having
duplicated fotos, actually with identical Properties:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_LsZ ... Ww2Tk5hM2c

Why? How can I remove duplicated files? If the answer is using "settings>catalog>optimize", could you state which options should be
activated?

Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

strange, and if you use context menu 'open containing folder' on these 2 duplicates, it's the same source?
Pierre.
alobo

Post by alobo »

xnview wrote:strange, and if you use context menu 'open containing folder' on these 2 duplicates, it's the same source?
If I select 'open containing folder' for each thumbnail of any pair in both cases the folder is the same:
/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/

which is the one listed in Properties.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

alobo wrote:
xnview wrote:strange, and if you use context menu 'open containing folder' on these 2 duplicates, it's the same source?
If I select 'open containing folder' for each thumbnail of any pair in both cases the folder is the same:

It's really strange, could you send me your .db?
Pierre.
alobo

Post by alobo »

xnview wrote:
alobo wrote:

It's really strange, could you send me your .db?
Sure:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdue30c98zg2o ... ew.db?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji2s5j4f7fov43k/Thumb.db?dl=0
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

in your db i see that you have same filename but for 2 different folders "/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/" & "@201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/"
It seems that you have changed the base path? You need to delete one of them in settings>Catalog
Pierre.
alobo

Post by alobo »

xnview wrote:in your db i see that you have same filename but for 2 different folders "/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/" & "@201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/"
It seems that you have changed the base path? You need to delete one of them in settings>Catalog
ok. What does the "@" mean? Does it represent the "Base path"? That would clarify a lot my other question regarding external drives

Also: in my Preferences/Catalog I do no see "@201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/" but "/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/"
repeated twice:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/exuux475yrxka ... 1.png?dl=0
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

alobo wrote:
xnview wrote:in your db i see that you have same filename but for 2 different folders "/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/" & "@201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/"
ok. What does the "@" mean? Does it represent the "Base path"? That would clarify a lot my other question regarding external drives
yes
Also: in my Preferences/Catalog I do no see "@201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/" but "/Volumes/LACIE1TB/FOTOS/201609_FOTOS_TESIS_JOAN/"
repeated twice:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/exuux475yrxka ... 1.png?dl=0
yes, if you use a base path, the @ is replaced
Pierre.