Copy/Move to

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Copy/Move to

Post by xnview »

Currently these entries are in 'Edit' menu, some users ask for 'File' which seems more logical
What do you think?
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Copy/Move to

Post by XnTriq »

In Windows Explorer, Copy To Folder... and Move To Folder... are to be found in the Edit menu, but in an application with image editing capabilities like XnView, the File menu is the right place for these commands, IMHO.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

Meh, either way is rather consistent.

Usually "file" has "Save" and "Save as..."

"Edit" seems the better place for a "copy"/"move" option

But as XnTriq said, this is not a random program, the whole purpose of this specific program is to do this kind of stuff, so "file" is also reasonable.
Xnout!

Post by Xnout! »

Both seem fine.

The only thing would be how a Folder/Directory is defined.

If Copy/Move to refers to a folder/dir. as well, and one were to see folders as something different than a file,
it would seem inappropriate to place under "File".

However, if you define folders/directories as nothing more than a grouping of files, then either one goes.
Personally, I like it under "Edit".
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

xnview wrote:Currently these entries are in 'Edit' menu, some users ask for 'File' which seems more logical
What do you think?
That refers to browser - for an image window these options appear under File, and in that context it makes more sense that way than under Edit.

For the browser window it seems to me they could be logically either way, however I would vote for File just to make it more consistent.

I would also add the same issue applies to: Delete, Rename and New Folder.

If you are open to rearranging the menus, then I think there are some other items that are definitely badly located, and I keep having trouble finding them after a break. I am happy to start a discussion thread to collect ideas, but only if you are interested.

I know the system is quite flexible - is it possible for users to customise their own menus?
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

Xnout! wrote:
The only thing would be how a Folder/Directory is defined.
It applies to whatever is selected: zero or more folders plus zero or more files.

I suspect that applying it to selected items is why the Windows explorer has it under edit.
However, windows explorer is also inconsistent because delete and rename are under File.
On second thoughts, they probably just put them under Edit because that is where copy/cut/paste are.