Batch crop/change ratio

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

henryg

Batch crop/change ratio

Post by henryg »

I want to batch convert jpgs from 4:3 (iPhone) to 16:10 (Samsung tablet) with no loss of quality/resampling - essentially a centre crop.

I have tried the canvas resize action (centre) which will do what I want, but the image size after convertion is substantially reduced; the images have clearly been resampled which I do not want. If I tick the relative box, things are better but still not right. I don't understand the difference between the two either.

What settings should I be using please?

Henry
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Batch crop/change ratio

Post by cday »

henryg wrote:I want to batch convert jpgs from 4:3 (iPhone) to 16:10 (Samsung tablet) with no loss of quality/resampling - essentially a centre crop.

I have tried the canvas resize action (centre) which will do what I want, but the image size after convertion is substantially reduced; the images have clearly been resampled which I do not want. If I tick the relative box, things are better but still not right. I don't understand the difference between the two either.

What settings should I be using please?
In the Canvas resize... dialog are you setting the width to the [calculated] percentage you require, and the height to 100%, which is the only way that I can see to get the result you need at a quick look? Note that 'Keep ration' needs to be unchecked to enter those settings. And 'Relative' neds to be unchecked, I think.

If quality seems degraded, you might check the settings on the Output tab: if the save file format is set to 'As original' then default compression and other settings are used with no option to modify them. If you set the format you require, you should then have conrtol over the sttings used...

[Edited]