.411 files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

nessie

.411 files

Post by nessie »

I have just downloaded xnview to view Sony Mavica Data File .411 extension but it does not open any ideas please/
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: .411 files

Post by xnview »

nessie wrote:I have just downloaded xnview to view Sony Mavica Data File .411 extension but it does not open any ideas please/
Could you send me a sample, please?
Pierre.
gomba66

Post by gomba66 »

Hi -
I have the same question. I have a floppy disk with .411 files on it (5KB each), also a MAVICA.HTM file (8KB). Given the size of free space on the floppy disk, there seem to be hidden files. How do I open the pictures? I have just installed XnViewMP.
Any help greatly appreciated.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

gomba66 wrote:I have the same question. I have a floppy disk with .411 files on it (5KB each), also a MAVICA.HTM file (8KB). Given the size of free space on the floppy disk, there seem to be hidden files. How do I open the pictures? I have just installed XnViewMP.
.411 is listed as a supported format for XnView Classic, and I don't see any need for a plug-in listed, are you able to upload a sample file? You will have to put it in a ZIP or RAR archive to post it as an attachment.
... Given the size of free space on the floppy disk, there seem to be hidden files. How do I open the pictures? I have just installed XnViewMP.
If you need to view any hidden files, there is a setting in Windows you could enable temporarily, Google 'show hidden files' for your version of Windows.

Edit: I see you're using XnView MP but have posted in the XnView Clasic section of the forum, a mod may move your thread later... :wink:
gomba66

Post by gomba66 »

cday wrote:
gomba66 wrote:I have the same question. I have a floppy disk with .411 files on it (5KB each), also a MAVICA.HTM file (8KB). Given the size of free space on the floppy disk, there seem to be hidden files. How do I open the pictures? I have just installed XnViewMP.
.411 is listed as a supported format for XnView Classic, and I don't see any need for a plug-in listed, are you able to upload a sample file? You will have to put it in a ZIP or RAR archive to post it as an attachment.
I've attached a zip folder containing the HTM file with three .411 files
cday wrote:
gomba66 wrote:... Given the size of free space on the floppy disk, there seem to be hidden files. How do I open the pictures? I have just installed XnViewMP.
If you need to view any hidden files, there is a setting in Windows you could enable temporarily, Google 'show hidden files' for your version of Windows.
I have the "show hidden files" on - that shows me the .411 files, they are otherwise hidden. I understand from google search that the .411 files are only thumbnails, and that the actual picture files are hidden. Opening the htm file shows a list with the same files but .jpg extension but jpg files can't be found.
cday wrote:Edit: I see you're using XnView MP but have posted in the XnView Clasic section of the forum, a mod may move your thread later... :wink:
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot
Attachments
Mavica.zip
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, gomba66.
  1. Activate Show hidden files & folders in ToolsSettings...File listFile list.
  2. Open the viewer and activate Ignore read errors in FileFormat settings...Read.
  3. Open the browser and set ViewFilter by to All.
If the JPEGs still won't show up, you'll need data recovery software.
gomba66

Post by gomba66 »

Thank you XnTriq
I followed your instructions although was only able to activate "ignore read errors" for single image files that I could open. Overall no luck so may need to look at data recovery software.
Thanks again
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

gomba66 wrote:I followed your instructions although was only able to activate "ignore read errors" for single image files that I could open.
There are two editions of XnView: MP (Multi-Platform) and Classic (Windows-only).
If you're using XnView Classic, you have to go to ToolsOptions...File listMiscShow hidden files and folders.
gomba66 wrote:Overall no luck so may need to look at data recovery software.
Make sure to enable write protection to prevent any (further) changes to the data on the disk. You may also want to create an image.