Deleting files in fullscreen mode deleted all folders!

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

vertigo

Re: Deleting files in fullscreen mode deleted all folders!

Post by vertigo »

Since I keep full backups, I decided to be a guinea pig :P , but alas, no joy. I was not able to duplicate the original issue (accessing fullscreen via the browser and viewer, using the toolbar shortcut and F11) or helmut's possible scenario. Every time I pressed delete, I was given a prompt asking if I was sure I wanted to delete, then when I said yes the images went to the recycle bin. Also, I was not able to access ".." when cycling through the images in fullscreen. This is certainly a very serious issue, but as I see it, there are multiple things wrong with hic's situation:

- The arrow keys should have worked to cycle through the images. Since they weren't working, it makes me wonder if somehow he managed to move the focus into the left pane of the browser, and up to the parent directory, which was then deleted; however, I've been unable to figure out how to do that, and even if that were the case, the focus should have been brought right back to the fullscreen viewer, thereby making it impossible for the delete request to register for an item selected in the left pane.
- There should have been a dialog box asking for confirmation.
- The folders/files should have gone to the recycle bin (though if they were too big for it they wouldn't, and while Windows asks if you want to permanently delete in this case, XnView DOES NOT and just AUTOMATICALLY PERMANENTLY DELETES the files)
- Pressing the delete key on a folder in the left browser pane doesn't do anything (seems to be related to the Ctrl+C, etc bug)
- Pressing the delete key on the ".." shortcut in the right browser pane doesn't do anything
- All folders BELOW 'Pictures' were deleted, but not the 'Pictures' folder itself (unless hic misstated what happened). This would indicate that each and every folder was individually deleted, which seems very unlikely to have happened, especially considering I can't even get such a thing to happen by really trying.

This is all with the same version and same OS as hic. Please don't take this the wrong way, hic, but are you sure there's not something else you did that may have caused this? Or maybe even a failing hard drive is to blame? I'm happy to help and serve as a test platform for figuring this out, because if indeed XnView did somehow do this I consider that to be a fatal flaw, but as of now I'm stumped.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thanks for trying hard to reproduce the problem. It's actually good to know that in the current 0.84 there is no such bug.

:arrow: Closed (Bug cannot be reproduced.) Please post here in case you should still experience this problem.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think that I could reproduce the problem:

Preparations (using Windows Explorer or XnView)
1. Create a folder "A"
2. Copy an image file into folder "A"
3. Create a subfolder of A and name it "Sub A"

4. Start XnView and browse folder "A"
5. Select the image file and open fullscreen (directly) using context menu "Fullscreen".
6. Press "Del" and confirm the message box to delete the image.
Actual behaviour: XnView displays an empty image. This empty image is folder "Sub A". :bug:
Expected behaviour: ?
7. Press "Del" and you will see a message box "Are you sure to delete "Sub A"?
8. Confirm the message box and your folder "Sub A" will be gone. :bug:

I don't know what should happen when deleting the last image file in Fullscreen mode. But in no case XnView must display non-image files or even folders that are not displayable and allow for deleting them.

:arrow: Reproduced
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Ah, so it's deleting all the files in the folder, after which you can delete the folder. Still doesn't explain how hic would have deleted the parent folder, though, and all the sibling(?) folders. But I would think that if you delete all files in a folder while in fullscreen, it should exit fullscreen.
helmut

Post by helmut »

vertigo wrote:... Still doesn't explain how hic would have deleted the parent folder, though, and all the sibling(?) folders.
Right. Perhaps hic browsed a top level folder like "My computer"? Just guessing here; I won't try this out.
vertigo wrote:But I would think that if you delete all files in a folder while in fullscreen, it should exit fullscreen.
Yes, returning to browser or viewer (depending where fullscreen was started) would be probably best.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. Issue 1128 is fixed in next version.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Problem is not fixed in 0.85 beta 1.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Problem is not fixed in 0.85 beta 1.
you have always
?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:Problem is not fixed in 0.85 beta 1.
you have always
?
Yes. I'll capture a screen video tonight.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, the view/fullscreen need to be closed is last file
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 2. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Confirmed fixed in 0.85 beta 2 (Fullscreen is exited on last image. Thank you, Pierre!)