*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

bdesmet

View modus shows wrong picture

Post by bdesmet »

Probably a bug which appears in XnViewMP 0.68 for Mac:

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.5

- Choose a picture in Browse Modus
- Double click the picture, it appears in View Modus.
- While in View Modus, perform an action on the picture, like rotation, crop, etc. Save the modification.
- The modified picture appears correctly in View Modus.
- Close the View Modus
- In Browse Modus, it should be nice if the thumbnail is updated automatically, but ok, press F5 and the thumbnail gets updated correctly.
- Double click the modified picture again.
- Surprisingly, the "old" (unmodified) picture re-appears in View Modus. Probably some cache issue. If you check the picture with an external viewer, the modification is correctly persisted in the picture file. The only work-around I could fine is restarting the application.

Best regards,
Brecht
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: View modus shows wrong picture

Post by m.Th. »

Yes, it is a cache problem. AFAIK Pierre is aware of the issue. I think & hope it will be fixed in the next version.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
I have already experienced the same issue (the thumbnail preview (browser mode) is not the same as the jpg picture itself (preview mode or view mode or fullscreen mode)).

It's a SEVERE BUG, because you can delete by inadvertence a nice picture, just because a wrong thumbnail is shown for this nice picture.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

... No news ... good new ? ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oops66 wrote:... No news ... good new ? ;-)
currently i can't reproduce this issue :(
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

xnview wrote:
oops66 wrote:... No news ... good new ? ;-)
currently i can't reproduce this issue :(
I do. See my specs in signature.

Steps:

1. Double click on a JPG in thumbs pane. The file opens in view mode.
2. On the opened file make a visible effect: for example move the Saturation slider to minimum in order to have a black & white photo.
3. Close the Tab with the opened file. It will ask you to save the file. Choose 'yes'.
4. In thumbs pane, the thumb stays the same (a small bug). Press F5. The thumb will be updated with the image turned to black & white.
5. Double click again on the same JPG in thumbs pane. The file opens in view mode.

Expected:

The file should be black & white

Actual:

The file is in color (like the steps 2-3 would never happened)
m. Th.

HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Hi,

Two days ago I saw the same issue, re-opening a saved image did show the original image, not the changed image.
I remember that I got the changed image on screen by selecting a different folder in the folder pane, then selected the folder with the changed image, then opened the changed image again and saw the changes. So a cache in memory issue, I thought.

I could reproduce it again. With one image in a folder, copy that image so I have an original to copy again and again to test with.
I tested several times now and sometimes the modified image was shown after re-opening it.
For now I thing that the modified image has to stay selected in the Browser. I can open the image 10 times and not see the modification.
As soon as I click in the white space of the Browser (then the thumbnail gets unselected) and then double click on the thumbnail again, the modified image is shown.
So a folder change is not necessary after all.

Regards,
Han
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

HanVroon wrote:Hi,

Two days ago I saw the same issue, re-opening a saved image did show the original image, not the changed image.
I remember that I got the changed image on screen by selecting a different folder in the folder pane, then selected the folder with the changed image, then opened the changed image again and saw the changes. So a cache in memory issue, I thought.

I could reproduce it again. With one image in a folder, copy that image so I have an original to copy again and again to test with.
I tested several times now and sometimes the modified image was shown after re-opening it.
For now I thing that the modified image has to stay selected in the Browser. I can open the image 10 times and not see the modification.
As soon as I click in the white space of the Browser (then the thumbnail gets unselected) and then double click on the thumbnail again, the modified image is shown.
So a folder change is not necessary after all.

Regards,
Han
Aha! The cache is cleared at selection change. Now Pierre must just clear it a little bit earlier: at save, if it is the same file which is saved.
m. Th.

bdesmet

Post by bdesmet »

I installed the new Mac OS X release of XNViewMP (0.69).

I observe that the issue described in this thread also appears version 0.69.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

bdesmet wrote:I installed the new Mac OS X release of XNViewMP (0.69).

I observe that the issue described in this thread also appears version 0.69.
Same with Windows 7. I checked with both a change in saturation and a rotation. Opening the modified picture with XnView classic shows the change was well applied. To show in MP I need to clear the Catalog.

PS:
bdesmet wrote:In thumbs pane, the thumb stays the same (a small bug). Press F5
I admit is small bug but painful
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
bdesmet

Post by bdesmet »

Hi,

The same bug is still out there. I tested it with XnViewMP 0.72 for Windows x32 running on Windows 7 (32-bit). The conditions in which the bug appears are still the same:

- While in View Modus, perform an action on the picture, like rotation, crop, etc. Save the modification.
- Close the View Modus
- In Browse Modus, it should be nice if the thumbnail is updated automatically, but ok, press F5 and the thumbnail gets updated correctly.
- Surprisingly, the "old" (unmodified) picture re-appears in View Modus. Probably some cache issue. If you check the picture with an external viewer, the modification is correctly persisted in the picture file. The only work-around I could fine is restarting the application.

Best regards,
Brecht
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

bdesmet wrote: The same bug is still out there. I tested it with XnViewMP 0.72 for Windows x32 running on Windows 7 (32-bit). The conditions in which the bug appears are still the same:

- Close the View Modus
And if you desactivate setings>View>Misc>Read ahead & Keep current image?
Pierre.
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

If i may interfere...

If "Read one image ahead" and "Keep current image" are unchecked, it's still the same.
The unmodified picture is shown after reopening.
It looks like a "Keep current image" problem, but after closing the image this cache should be cleared, I thing. And after saving to disk the modification should be in cache, not the original.

The only way besides closing/opening XnViewMP is also moving one file ahead or back with Previous/Next file.

Regards,
Han
Last edited by HanVroon on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Confirmed
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

when you go back to browser, the preview is updated? or only the thumbnail is not updated?
Pierre.