0.84: Navigate within quick search results?

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

tylenolthumb

0.84: Navigate within quick search results?

Post by tylenolthumb »

Hello, is there a way to navigate only within search results?

For example, I search for a name, and all the pictures within that name show up in the browser. I click on one of the pictures, and it opens up in a new tab. Right now, if I press right or left, the pictures include other pictures other than the search results. Is there a way to make it so that if I click on a searched picture and open in a tab, when I click right or left I only navigate within the searched pictures? Like in windows explorer? Thank you.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: navigate within search results?

Post by xnview »

currently not possible...
Pierre.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

no probs man, maybe in the future :wink:
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

Hello how are you? Is this feature in the works? Thanks.
helmut

Post by helmut »

tylenolthumb wrote:Hello how are you? Is this feature in the works? Thanks.
From what I can see this works in 0.84. Try it out yourself and you'll see best. :wink:
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

helmut wrote:
tylenolthumb wrote:Hello how are you? Is this feature in the works? Thanks.
From what I can see this works in 0.84. Try it out yourself and you'll see best. :wink:
How do I get it to work? In a new tab, the "next file" and "previous file" buttons still go through all pictures in the directory, rather than just cycling through the results found by quick search.
helmut

Post by helmut »

tylenolthumb wrote:How do I get it to work? In a new tab, the "next file" and "previous file" buttons still go through all pictures in the directory, rather than just cycling through the results found by quick search.
Thank you for checking and your reply, tylenolthumb. Search and quick search are two different animals. I've just tried with quick search and can confirm that this doesn't work. Though, I'm not 100% sure what the expected behaviour is. ATM, I'd say that the list used for the viewer should base on the list in the browser and I'd consider this a bug. :bug:

As a workaround you could try this: (see screen recording topic_32021_tylenolthumb.wmv)
1. Do quick search
2. Press Ctrl+A to select all filtered files.
3. Right click with mouse to open the context menu and select "Open".
-> Tab with image will be opened and when navigating with "Previous file" and "Next file" the previously selected images are displayed, only.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

helmut wrote:
tylenolthumb wrote:How do I get it to work? In a new tab, the "next file" and "previous file" buttons still go through all pictures in the directory, rather than just cycling through the results found by quick search.
Thank you for checking and your reply, tylenolthumb. Search and quick search are two different animals. I've just tried with quick search and can confirm that this doesn't work. Though, I'm not 100% sure what the expected behaviour is. ATM, I'd say that the list used for the viewer should base on the list in the browser and I'd consider this a bug. :bug:

As a workaround you could try this: (see screen recording topic_32021_tylenolthumb.wmv)
1. Do quick search
2. Press Ctrl+A to select all filtered files.
3. Right click with mouse to open the context menu and select "Open".
-> Tab with image will be opened and when navigating with "Previous file" and "Next file" the previously selected images are displayed, only.
Thank you for the workaround, and especially the video, very helpful! :D
helmut

Post by helmut »

tylenolthumb wrote:.. Thank you for the workaround, and especially the video, very helpful! :D
I'm glad you can use the workaround. :)

I'd expect that whenever opening the Viewer (view mode) the files currently shown in the browser are the basis for the file list used by the viewer. In our case only the files filtered by the quick search should be displayed in the viewer when navigating.

Do other users agree?

:arrow: Bug Reports - New
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: 0.84: Navigate within quick search results?

Post by m.Th. »

Do other users agree?
Yes.

Especially when „Open” has such an undiscoverable behavior and does NOT work with all types of files. (Eg. Raw files - why?)
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Re: 0.84: Navigate within quick search results?

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your feedback, m.Th..

:arrow: Reproduced

Note: This is a suggestion/new feature. Nevertheless it should be handled as a bug because this behaviour is expected by users.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Thank you for checking and your reply, tylenolthumb. Search and quick search are two different animals. I've just tried with quick search and can confirm that this doesn't work. Though, I'm not 100% sure what the expected behaviour is. ATM, I'd say that the list used for the viewer should base on the list in the browser and I'd consider this a bug. :bug:
I can't reproduce, in view mode i have only the files selected in browser
Pierre.