0.85b4: Better handling of folders with A LOT of subfolders

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

arspr

0.85b4: Better handling of folders with A LOT of subfolders

Post by arspr »

(OK, I know this is not technically a bug but an enhancement... BUT it really feels like a bug...)

XnView: MP 0.85b4 64 bit

XnView seems completely hung as it remains unresponsive when accessing folders with A LOT of subfolders. (BUT the number of files does not seem important. Only folders seem critical for this issue).

Effect: It feels bad, the user can get the impression the program has stopped working.

To reproduce:
1. Just enter a folder which contains A LOT of subfolders.

Actual behaviour (bug): For some seconds, (I suppose it depends on the amount of subfolders and your computer/HDD speed; I get a 2-3 second delay in a 400+ subfolder one), XnView does not respond to user actions nor gives any kind of feedback about the situation...

(OTOH, when reading data from images, a progress indicator is shown in the lower left bar).

Expected behaviour: At least a "Working... Please wait" message (even with a progress indicator similar to the file reading one?) should be displayed.

Nevertheless the best solution would be making the program fully responsive through the update process. Wild guess: supposing the issue is caused because XnView is just reading the data from subfolders and sorting them before showing the new file list, the best solution would be immediately showing a partial folder list which is being continuously updated as new members are added. And which allowed the user to abort/change to another folder on the fly.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: 0.85b4: Better handling of folders with A LOT of subfold

Post by Dreamer »

Confirmed.

I think the folder should be changed first, so that we could click another folder instantly, once the folder is changed, file list should start loading items. Currently there's a small delay when browsing folders with many subfolders, delay after each click.

BTW Another solution or workaround to quickly browse many folders is the feature from XnView Classic, not implemented to MP yet (link).
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your bug report, arspr. Slow performance or a non-responsive interface are always irritating and can be considered as bugs.

I suspect the thumbnails for folders to cause the problem. Could you please temporarily deactivate the creation of thumbnails for folders and see what happens (in Settings: Browser » File list | Custom Filter uncheck "Show as thumbnails" in row "Folders")?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I tried it but I still have a delay sometimes, in folders with many subfolders and files.
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:I tried it but I still have a delay sometimes, in folders with many subfolders and files.
O.k., thank you for checkinig, Dreamer. This was just a thought. I hope Pierre can reproduce this and find the reason for the problem and most of all fix the non-responsive user interface.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85b4: Better handling of folders with A LOT of subfolders

Post by xnview »

are you able to reproduce on lastest version?
Pierre.