0.85 MacOS: Sluggish browsing

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

pezie

0.85 MacOS: Sluggish browsing

Post by pezie »

Hello everybody,

excuse me if this has already been addressed (regarding 0.85 or another version after 0.78); i couldn't find a relevant thread searching for terms that came to mind.

Until today, I've been using 0.78 (on a Macbook Pro 2015 15" Retina, OS X 10.10). I've just downloaded 0.85 and instantly noticed that scrolling up and down through the thumbnails is more sluggish / more laggy / less responsive / less smooth than in the older version, although thumbnail size, filter settings and the settings in Werkzeuge/Einstellungen/Miniaturbild are the same. I've opened and closed 0.85 several times and gave it enough time to read the files, calculate the thumbnails etc. in the image folders. It's not that the browser in 0.85 is unusably slow; the difference isn't huge, but noticeable.

Is there any option/setting that I am missing that may slow down the browser?

Thanks for reading, regards,
pezie
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85 MacOS: Sluggish browsing

Post by xnview »

Do you have the same problem with 0.84?
Pierre.
pezie

Post by pezie »

No, just downloaded 0.84 and it works just like 0.78. Thank you, Pierre, good enough for me.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pezie wrote:No, just downloaded 0.84 and it works just like 0.78. Thank you, Pierre, good enough for me.
is it possible to make a screen video to show the difference between 0.84 & 0.85?
Pierre.
Stephen0523

Post by Stephen0523 »

I am having the same issue scrolling with the trackPad Using a MacPro. http://prntscr.com/etk83j
Scrolling almost unuseable

https://youtu.be/8QGpbpzFHsQ
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

right in edit mode, now with 0.85 in retina we display 2x more pixels, i'll check to speed up
Pierre.
Stephen0523

Post by Stephen0523 »

great!
iMiKE

Post by iMiKE »

Using Mac Pro (MacPro 6,1) + macOS Sierra 10.12.4 + XnViewMP 0.85 and I don't have such lags when scrolling through thumbnails in Thumbnails+Filenames view.
But I don't use Retina monitor.
RMMM

Post by RMMM »

I also have a problem with sluggish browsing on Mac. I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina, 15 inch, Mid 2015.

When I select a new file from the file pane, the image is loaded much more slowly than in version 0.84. This is most noticeable when I am scrolling through the files by turning the scroll wheel one click at a time (I'm using a Logitech G700S mouse). To be clear, the Logitech 700S has two mouse wheel modes, free spinning and click-to-click. When I say "mouse wheel click" I mean a single click in click-to-click mode. (Of course, I don't mean a mouse wheel button press.)

There is a very noticeable delay in loading some images. Also, sometimes (about every 3 or 4 mouse wheel clicks) there is a "dropped click," where a mouse wheel turn has no effect. This are more dropped clicks the faster I scroll. In 0.84 I could scroll the mouse wheel rapidly without any dropped clicks. (The behavior is no better when the mouse wheel is in free spinning mode.)

It seems to me there are possibly two separate issues, one having to do with how fast images are loaded, and the other having to do with responsiveness to the mouse wheel. When I use the up/down arrow buttons to scroll through files, I don't have the same problem with dropped clicks, but images still load noticeably slower than in 0.84. Version 0.85 would probably be usable, though a little irritating, if the program responded to mouse wheel clicks the same way it responds to up/down arrow presses.

I was looking forward to this version because of the frequent crashes (and numerous other bugs in basic functionality) in 0.84 and previous versions. In 0.84 I had a crash once about every minute or 2 when doing file operations like copy. I tried to hang on long enough with 0.85 to see if the frequency of crashes has diminished, but because of the sluggishness, I find version 0.85 unusable. I can at least say that during the 2 minutes or so I used it for file operations, it did not crash.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have always the problem with 0.86?
Pierre.