0.69 still can't create lossless webP

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

fireattack

0.69 still can't create lossless webP

Post by fireattack »

It's related to an old bug: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=29875

I'm not very sure the meaning of that bug (and its fix). was it about merely "can't set to 100%" or "can't save as lossless" or both? (Because in JPEG 100%!=lossless, not sure if it's the case in WebP)

Anyway, in 0.69, I can save as images as WebP 100%, but they're still not lossless. (the difference is small but can be observed with some photoshop).
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.69 still can't create lossless webP

Post by xnview »

when quality=100, i use lossless. Which app do you use to create lossless webp?
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

xnview wrote:when quality=100, i use lossless. Which app do you use to create lossless webp?
uh.. xnview MP 0.69?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fireattack wrote:
xnview wrote:when quality=100, i use lossless. Which app do you use to create lossless webp?
uh.. xnview MP 0.69?
ok :) do you have tried official tools cwebp?
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

xnview wrote:
fireattack wrote:
uh.. xnview MP 0.69?
ok :) do you have tried official tools cwebp?
I didn't get your point, but I just read the parameters of cwebp. It separates lossy and lossless- with lossy, even you set the quality (-q) to 100 it's still lossy. Makes sense, but then what do you mean by "when quality=100, i use lossless"?

The problem still exists: XnView MP cannot create/produce lossless webP. I can use the official tool to do so for sure, but I think it's not the focus since we're talking about the bug of XnView itsefl.

By the way, this should be a bug report thread, I posted it here mistakenly. Could you help move it? Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fireattack wrote: I didn't get your point, but I just read the parameters of cwebp. It separates lossy and lossless- with lossy, even you set the quality (-q) to 100 it's still lossy. Makes sense, but then what do you mean by "when quality=100, i use lossless"?
cwebp has a lossless parameter??
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

xnview wrote:
fireattack wrote: I didn't get your point, but I just read the parameters of cwebp. It separates lossy and lossless- with lossy, even you set the quality (-q) to 100 it's still lossy. Makes sense, but then what do you mean by "when quality=100, i use lossless"?
cwebp has a lossless parameter??
If I read correctly, yes:

Code: Select all

-q float

Specify the compression factor for RGB channels between 0 and 100. The default is 75.

In case of lossy compression (default), a small factor produces a smaller file with lower quality. Best quality is achieved by using a value of 100.

In case of lossless compression (specified by the -lossless option), a small factor enables faster compression speed, but produces a larger file. Maximum compression is achieved by using a value of 100.
and

Code: Select all

-lossless

Encode the image without any loss.
Just tried, it works as it says.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I've tried and it works. the webp.dll has which file date?
Pierre.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

xnview wrote:I've tried and it works. the webp.dll has which file date?
2013/03/31 (in both XnViewMP-win-x64.zip and XnViewMP-win.zip downloaded from http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=30761 )

And even if it could produce lossless image by setting q to 100.. it loses the ability to create q100 LOSSY webP images.
So, either way it will be less functional than the original lib. The ultimate solution should be adding a check box or option for "lossless". Then we can use it to produce both q0-100 lossy and any q0-100 of lossless image (in this case, q=compression ratio).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 518 for current status and details.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.70 or later. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, fireattack?

(Sorry for getting back to you that late!)