[v0.81] Crash when selecting video files in browser

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

[v0.81] Crash when selecting video files in browser

Post by XnTriq »

XnView MP v0.81 32-bit (default config) @ XP SP3 (no codec packs installed) crashes every time I select one of the following clips in the browser to play them in preview:
  • C:\WINDOWS\clock.avi
  • C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Video\copycd.wmv
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: [v0.81] Crash when selecting video files in browser

Post by XnTriq »

Hiding all panes except for the folder tree and the browser doesn't make any difference. Deactivating QtAV OTOH…

Code: Select all

[Start]
otherFlag=1
updater=0
language=en
otherFolder=
dbFlag=1
dbFolder=

[%General]
videoMode=true
… prevents MP from crashing. Video thumbnails are created, but the videos don't play.

BTW: Is the percent sign in the section name [%General] correct?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and if you desactivate QtAV always crash???
yes it's [%General]
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote:and if you desactivate QtAV always crash???
  • videoMode=false (default): QtAV activated » crash
  • videoMode=true: QtAV de-activated » no crash + no video
It's 100% reproducible on my XP SP3 box (no additional 3rd-party codecs installed).
  1. Remove all entries related to MP (HKCU\Software\QtProject, HKCU\Software\Trolltech, HKCU\Software\XnView\XnViewMP) from the registry.
  2. Delete all files in %AppData%\XnViewMP\.
  3. Extract XnViewMP-win.zip to D:\Programs\XnViewMP_081\.
  4. Create a new xnview.ini in D:\Programs\XnViewMP_081\ with the following content:

[Start]
    otherFlag=1
    updater=0
    language=en
    otherFolder=
    dbFlag=1
    dbFolder=

[%General]
    videoMode=false
  5. Start MP from Run... in the Start menu:

D:\Programs\XnViewMP_081\xnviewmp.exe C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Video\
  6. Confirm the error message (“Entry Point Not Found”) with OK.
    MP starts in browse mode and creates thumbnails for all 5 WMV files in C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Video\.
  7. Select the thumbnail for any of the 5 WMVs in the browser.
    The preview turns black for a short moment, then MP crashes.
Repeating these steps with the same INI except for videoMode set to true doesn't produce a crash (or a crash dump). The video controls appear in the preview pane, but the video stays blank. I get the same result when opening the video from the context menu (Ctrl+O doesn't work): The controls in view mode are grayed-out and the video doesn't show up.
xnview wrote:yes it's [%General]
OK :-)
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I encounter MP crashing since version 0.80, related to video files it seems. I sent some crash reports.
Also, the sound is bad, corrupt, sometime looping the last sample at the end of a clip.

I just checked the last 3 versions on the same machine (Windows 7 64 bits / Klite codecs 11.4.0) and both v0.80 and 0.81 do have the bug. For now I stay with version 0.79.
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:I encounter MP crashing since version 0.80, related to video files it seems. I sent some crash reports.
Also, the sound is bad, corrupt, sometime looping the last sample at the end of a clip.

I just checked the last 3 versions on the same machine (Windows 7 64 bits / Klite codecs 11.4.0) and both v0.80 and 0.81 do have the bug. For now I stay with version 0.79.
do you have tried to change videoMode?
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I changed the parameter and yes it works. I checked different video formats and it's all ok.

Side-effect on the full-screen mode: I did not notice immediately but after having run a video, any picture opened in full screen opens in a new window, standard window with the banner and the 3 buttons on top right. Using escape key the display changes to a true full screen. I had to close XnView to get back to normal (up until I run a video...). This behavior only happens with videoMode=true
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnView MP v0.84 doesn't crash when video files are selected in the browser.
  • videoMode=false (QtAV activated): Video playback in preview pane :bugfixed:
  • videoMode=true (QtAV de-activated): No video playback in preview pane
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I just upgraded to XnView MP v0.84. I use a mix of pictures and video files, different formats.

I have a new PC tablet-convertible running Windows 10 /64 bits. No codec except Xvid:
videoMode=false (default value, QtAV activated): Video playback in all view modes, all video format seems playing well. No crash, no side effects, just very slow to start playing MP4 Full HD.
videoMode=true (QtAV de-activated): Some video formats are played (old ones like AVI, MPEG, WMV). 3GPs, MOV and MP4 are not played

Still I have a machine with Windows 7 /64 bits, no codec at all, Quicktime not installed.
videoMode=false (default value, QtAV activated): Video playback in all views. All video format seems playing but we still have the issue with sound, looping at the end and it crashes from time to time (I uploaded one crash report).
videoMode=true (QtAV de-activated): Some video formats are played (old ones, native support by Windows Media Player like AVI, MPEG, WMV). 3GPs, MOV and MP4 are not played.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your feedback, B.Douille. This defect is about crashing while your feedback indicates problems with playing the videos. Does XnView crash for you, too?
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I got many crash today with the configuration below.
Still I have a machine with Windows 7 /64 bits, no codec at all, Quicktime not installed.
videoMode=false (default value, QtAV activated): Video playback in all views. All video format seems playing but we still have the issue with sound, looping at the end and it crashes from time to time (I uploaded one crash report).
I tried on another machine, Windows 7 64 bits / Klite codecs 11.4.0. Since we had these problems I use to use it with videoMode=true and it works fine (thanks to Klite codecs I think).
When switching back to default value videoMode=false I get the crap sound but from the few tests I did I haven't had a crash so far.