0.83: Custom catalog default path

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jadO

0.83: Custom catalog default path

Post by jadO »

If the custom catalog path does not exist, XnviewMP does not complain or crash. So how exactly does it handle this situation? Where does it store the catalog database files in this case?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Custom catalog default path

Post by xnview »

when you edit it in Settings?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote:when you edit it in Settings?
No. When I remove the paths from xnview.ini.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

in this case XnView must choose user path
See Issue 1009 for details.
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote:in this case XnView must choose user path
See Issue 1009 for details.
It seems that currentl it uses "some" path, I looked into the user folder and did not see anything XnViewMP related.
jadO

Post by jadO »

You know what? I think in this case it should NOT use the users path. I think it should use the system TEMP path.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

jadO wrote:
I think in this case it should NOT use the users path. I think it should use the system TEMP path.
Could you explain your reasoning?
jadO

Post by jadO »

cday wrote:
jadO wrote:
I think in this case it should NOT use the users path. I think it should use the system TEMP path.
Could you explain your reasoning?
I am seeing this from a portable users perspective where you want to leave as few data as possible on an external computer. For that I think the TEMP dir is the perfect place for XnVIEWMP to put data on if a custom path is empty or not present.

In those cases the data gets wiped automatically with a system cleanup rather than stay in a users folder forever.

Edit: For the portable version it might even be better to default to the application dir in case the custom path is empty or not found. So data do not get spread over an external computer. There is one bad situation though when using ffmpeg as this seems to utilize the systems temp folder for creating thumbnails and sometimes not properly delete them. It would be helpful to be able to explicitely set a temp folder for those kind of operations.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 beta 3. Could you please confirm the bug fix, jad0?
jadO

Post by jadO »

helmut wrote:This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 beta 3. Could you please confirm the bug fix, jad0?
I have just tried 0.85b1 and the custom paths in xnview.ini have been saved incorrectly. So again I was confroted with the issue that I launched XnViewMP with non-existing custom paths.
The application started and also started generating thumbnails but could not find the custom paths.

So again my question: As I could not locate the database files, where are these stored in this case and should it not be better (as discussed in this thread) to have a fallback default setting in such a case. I have made my preference clear. For the sake of portable usage this default setting use a path that does not leave data on the host machine in case of use like from a USB device.
So this could be the applications directory or at least the temp folder on host machins so data gets wiped on system cleanup.

As per supposed fix you have mentioned: I have checked the users folder and could not find the files as well. So it does not seem to be fixed.