Show Grid, Histogram and Information as default

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

affvalente

Show Grid, Histogram and Information as default

Post by affvalente »

hi - great piece of software! thanks

I'm trying to set up my workflow as follows:
- open XnView, select folder
- open first file (double click)
- add rating and colour
- click next to go to next image

Couple of questions:
1) I can't seem to find a way to make sure 3x3 grid, histogram and file information are always shown when I open an image (double click from browse). Can it be done?
2) Can I set up in a way that after setting a rating XnView will move me to the next image (again, within open image)

many thanks
andre

EDIT: moved to MP - General Support
helmut

Re: Show Grid, Histogram and Information as default

Post by helmut »

Thank you for registering to the XnView forum and your request, affvalente.

FAIK, there is no setting to force XnView to display the grid and histogram whenever opening an image. Such settings would be useful additions to XnView, I think.
affvalente

Post by affvalente »

helmut wrote:Thank you for registering to the XnView forum and your request, affvalente.

FAIK, there is no setting to force XnView to display the grid and histogram whenever opening an image. Such settings would be useful additions to XnView, I think.
Thanks!
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:
Fullscreen:
Actually their is a little (Pin / Unpin) icon up in the upper corner you can use for histro gram under full-screen.
-This mode seems buggy though. It works, except when switching back and forth between browser/fullscreen.

Show Grid is under crop mode.
This has bugs too, I have a post about it somewhere. It defaults to On, after restarts.

View Mode:
As long as you keep the tab Alive and switch images using mouse wheel or keyboard them they should stay shown.
Use the view pull-down or toolbar icons for on/off.

Each mode has limits on what you can change, color ect... You can maybe bind some keyboard commands to what your needing.
Fullscreen lets you do both, color and rating, via overhead filmstrip.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

1) I can't seem to find a way to make sure 3x3 grid, histogram and file information are always shown when I open an image (double click from browse). Can it be done?
File Information is displayed by default in Full Screen mode (F11).

I would say that when a tab is closed the state of these settings (On/Off) should be remembered in the INI file. When another tab is opened - in the same session OR NOT - read these settings and use them.
For 3x3 grid is more interesting because we're talking here about Crop Mode. I would save the position and dimensions of the grid - but remember to load them correctly (IOW intersect with the image's rectangle!)

2) Can I set up in a way that after setting a rating XnView will move me to the next image (again, within open image)
Well, the code exists more or less. Go to main window and look at View | Rating & Color Label... - the options with „... and Move to Next Image” are there. Now, they need a shortcut (you can do this already from Tools | Settings | Shortcuts) AND Pierre need to make them work in Full Screen mode and in Viewer mode (IOW to look from where it was triggered and advance to next image in the current mode in which the user works).
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

I would say that when a tab is closed the state of these settings (On/Off) should be remembered in the INI file. When another tab is opened - in the same session OR NOT - read these settings and use them.
I Agree and I would say this is a bug because:

1. Info panel= Pin / unpin is not remembered
2. info panel= Size is not remembered. ---Leave it pinned. go to browser and come back then the panel is across the whole screen.
3. Filmstrip= Seems to remember its size.
4. Filmstrip= Does not remember its pin/ unpin setting though.
Well, the code exists more or less. Go to main window and look at View | Rating & Color Label.
This here, If you have icons enabled over thumbs, You can Rate and Color label via filmstrip along the top.
Or the way you say, by binding keyboard keys.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

right i think that grid/histogram/info state must be kept when closing view tab
See Issue 1063 for details.
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

3. Filmstrip= Seems to remember its size.
Here is a very nasty LOGICAL bug!

Filmstrip takes the thumbs size at the beginning of the program (or the initial size) and not the actual size of the thumbs.

Example:

1. Start the program with thumbs at 300x200
2. Open the Full-Screen - the FilmStrip is at 300x200
3. Close the Full-Screen mode
4. Resize the thumbs at 500 x 300 (or whatever)
5. Open the Full-Screen mode

Actual: The thumbs remain at 300x200
Expected: The thumbs should be at 500x300
m. Th.

Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Filmstrip takes the thumbs size at the beginning of the program (or the initial size) and not the actual size of the thumbs.
Agreed, But think of this

If someone wants a different size of thumbnail while inside fullscreen.

Like me, I like to set the filmstrip to big or small sometimes, and like it to stay that way when I return.
Another option is to have a switch to lock filmstrip thumbs to browser or lock to last used, so we can turn on/off.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Erixx haxx wrote:
Agreed, But think of this

If someone wants a different size of thumbnail while inside fullscreen.

Like me, I like to set the filmstrip to big or small sometimes, and like it to stay that way when I return.
Another option is to have a switch to lock filmstrip thumbs to browser or lock to last used, so we can turn on/off.
If someone wants a different size then it should be specified directly somewhere - most probably in Tools | Settings (same stands for the Compare Window, Batch Convert etc.). „Magic” values are GUI errors.
m. Th.

helmut

Post by helmut »

Feature "Keep Histogram/grid/info state when view tab is closed" has been added in 0.85. Could you please download the current test version, check, and confirm, affvalente?
HanVroon

Post by HanVroon »

Hi all,

Tested with 0.85.
I have been trying to understand what the topic poster wanted, and where settings should be applied and remembered.
This originally concerned Viewer settings, right?

As I was comparing the ini's from 0.84 and 0.85. I have noticed 5 settings added to xnview.ini in version 0.85:
showHisto=false
showInfo=true
showGrid=true
selectionGrid=1
hdpiPixel=false

As you can see, info and grid are set to true in my settings, but have no effect.
If I switch Info on, Information is shown as long as I don't close the tab and show new files with the Next file button.
If I close the tab and open another one, Information is not shown (like in 0.84 and older).
I only noticed that when you move the histogram, the new location is remembered, even after closing XnViewMP. But you have to switch histogram on again.

Procedure:
- Open XnViewMP
- Open an image from the Browser.
- Press I to switch Information on, info is shown.
- Close the tab.
- Look at the xnview.ini file, showInfo in the [Viewer] section is set to true.
- Open another image from the Browser, no info is shown.
- Close the tab
- Look at the xnview.ini file, showInfo in the [Viewer] section is set to false. Restarting XnViewMP is not even necessary.

The same goes for show histogram and grid.
It looks like the ini settings are written but not read :D
How remembering grid settings (how many horizontal/vertical lines a.s.o.) should work without actually defining grid settings files, I have no idea.
Nothing is remembered.

Am I right saying this isue still needs some attention?

Regards,
Han