How can I convert .pi2 files to something windows can view?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mshafe01

How can I convert .pi2 files to something windows can view?

Post by mshafe01 »

I have a whole batch of photos of my kids that I got from a friend who saved them as .pi2 format. I have tried using XNView to covert it only to have it error out and say “format of the file cannot be determined”. Do you have any suggestions? I want to get these into .jpg or something else windows can view and modify. He does remember if he encrypted these or not. He said it was some program named degas but his system crashed and he can't recover the originals. Help!!!!!!1 Thanks
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... files/PI2/
"Description:
PI2 is the file extension for the Medium resolution picture file associated with Degas Elite. "
mshafe01

.pi2 file still unreadable....

Post by mshafe01 »

:(
I have 95 high res photos of my kids in .pi2 format that I cannot get to open nor to convert to .jpg or anything else usable by windows. I know it's from degas. The Winbackup didn't assist at all. XNView appears to be the only program available that claims to be able to open these files but I keep getting the error listed in my first post. Help! My wife wants to print / view these photos.

.pi2

Post by guest »

try konvertor (www.konvertor.net) it opens 1000+ formats, including .pi2
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

What operating system were they originally created on?

There's a plugin for the gimp that claims to handle degas files: http://registry.gimp.org/list?category=7 The gimp itself (has both windows and linux version): http://www.gimp.org/

If you know someone with a mac, there's a macintosh prog called GraphicConverter that's supposed to be able to handle them.

You could also try ImageMagick: http://studio.imagemagick.org/MagickStu ... Studio.cgi
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: .pi2 file still unreadable....

Post by xnview »

mshafe01 wrote::(
I have 95 high res photos of my kids in .pi2 format that I cannot get to open nor to convert to .jpg or anything else usable by windows. I know it's from degas. The Winbackup didn't assist at all. XNView appears to be the only program available that claims to be able to open these files but I keep getting the error listed in my first post. Help! My wife wants to print / view these photos.
Could you send me some samples?
Pierre.
Volkir

Not Degas

Post by Volkir »

Drahken wrote:http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... files/PI2/
"Description:
PI2 is the file extension for the Medium resolution picture file associated with Degas Elite. "
I seriously doubt it's degas pi2 format on your photos. As an former Atari geek I can tell you that the degas formats are far from being high res.

Atari during the Degas Elite era had 3 resolutions:
Low res: 320x200 with 16 colors (PI1)
Medium res: 640x200 with 4 colors (PI2)
High res: 640x400 mono (only black and white) (PI3)

The Degas PIx format had no compression.
That means we can look at the size of the picture (in bytes). All pictures should have the same size.
I can't remember the exact size of PI2. But with a rough calculation I get it's close to 32008 bytes.

640*200*2/8 = 32000 bytes. Plus 4 or 8 bytes depending on if the palette is 8bit or 16bit.

If your pics would be degas PI2 you should have no problems reading it with XnView and then saving them to another format.

//Volkir
DC

Did you ever get the .pi2 file conversion to work?

Post by DC »

Just wondering if anyone ever figured out how to get those .pi2 files converted to hi-res .jpg? Thanks...
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Did you ever get the .pi2 file conversion to work?

Post by xnview »

DC wrote:Just wondering if anyone ever figured out how to get those .pi2 files converted to hi-res .jpg? Thanks...
Many .pi2 comes from Portrait Innovations! and are crypted, i don't know how to read them.
Pierre.
cmaudano

pi2 files

Post by cmaudano »

I too have pictures from Portrait Innovations to convert to a high resolution jpg format. I have a copyright release from them to get an enlargment since they do not offer that service in their shop.

I'm waiting for a response from them, but in the meantime I would like to see if I could convert the .pi2 file myself.

For those with a cd from Portrait Innovations, there should be another folder with lower resolution .jpg files so if you just want to view the pictures you should be able to do that without having software to open .pi2 files.

I downloaded the XnView, but still cannot open pi2 files. When I downloaded the Konvertor I receive an error saying that it's not free and then it closes down on me. Help!
Joanna

.pi2 files

Post by Joanna »

I too have some pictures in the .pi2 format and can not convert to jpeg. Has anyone had any luck?
John A

pi2 files

Post by John A »

Joanna:

Are you able to open the PI2 files?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: pi2 files

Post by xnview »

John A wrote:Are you able to open the PI2 files?
It's a closed crypted format, i don't know how to open it
Pierre.
PI Girl

Encrypted PI2 files

Post by PI Girl »

The pi2 files from Portrait Innovations are not degas or anything else that's out there. The files have been encrypted with proprietary software from the company...there really is no other software that could unencrypt it.
Nanawith4

PI2 files

Post by Nanawith4 »

These files are on a CD from portrait innovations and if you can resize the small jpegs (if you have them) then that might help in printing some.