keep thumbnail cache

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tylenolthumb

keep thumbnail cache

Post by tylenolthumb »

Hello people, I just downloaded xnview mp. I'd like to know what settings I need to change to keep thumbnails between sessions. Right now my thumbnail rebuilds every time I close and restart xnview mp. I'd like to keep the thumbnail from deleting itself everytime I close down the program. I have enabled thumbnail caching and set maximum size for cached thumbnails to 1000MB, but it doesn't seem to work. My thumbnails still reset if I restart the program. Also, while running the program, any time I change the directory, the thumbnail rebuilds. It also doesn't let me add folders in thumbnail cache options. My thumb.db file is always 40kb, and xnview.db is always 1kb, they dont increase in size. How to fix this? Thank you.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: keep thumbnail cache

Post by m.Th. »

tylenolthumb wrote:Hello people, I just downloaded xnview mp. I'd like to know what settings I need to change to keep thumbnails between sessions. Right now my thumbnail rebuilds every time I close and restart xnview mp. I'd like to keep the thumbnail from deleting itself everytime I close down the program. I have enabled thumbnail caching and set maximum size for cached thumbnails to 1000MB, but it doesn't seem to work. My thumbnails still reset if I restart the program. Also, while running the program, any time I change the directory, the thumbnail rebuilds. It also doesn't let me add folders in thumbnail cache options. My thumb.db file is always 40kb, and xnview.db is always 1kb, they dont increase in size. How to fix this? Thank you.
With the default settings (Enable thumbnail caching checked) it should keep them.

...but I encountered this in rare situations also to another user which I know.

Do you have write rights in the folder with thumbs.db / xnview.db?

Also, deselect the "Maximum size for cached thumbnails" - it doesn't do anything if you have space on your storage.

Try this: Leave the program to finish building the thumbs in the current directory and only then go to another directory and close the program. In this case the thumbs are kept?

What do you mean by
It also doesn't let me add folders in thumbnail cache options.
Do you have an error shown? What do you do?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

Hello, thank you for the reply, it still doesn't work. Cache still resets every time I change directories. What I mean by I cannot add folder is that in the settings->browser->database option where you can add a folder to have it cached, I could add a folder and see the progress bar, but once the progress bar is finished, I don't see the folder under cached directory. Also, in my XnVIewMP folder, I have three files which are small (Thumb.db 40kb, Xnview.db 1kb, and xnview.ini 11kb). I think it's a problem with XnViewMP, because when I use XnView classic, thumbnail cache work, and the xnview.db file is 250MB. My computer seems to not caching at all with XnViewMP. Also I restarted my computer and xnviewmp reset my view settings, so I think it's a problem of my computer not getting modified by xnviewmp.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

strange, try to remove xnview.db & thumb.db?
Pierre.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

I deleted them and the next time I opened up xnviewmp they came back, but also as really small files.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Puzzling...

Try:

Close the program.
Delete/rename/hide the xnview.ini (Btw, in Tools | Settings | Integration | Paths do you have "use .ini file"?)
Start the program.

It works?
I deleted them and the next time I opened up xnviewmp they came back, but also as really small files.
Natural. But this is good because we know that here is your data folder.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

Nope it still doesn't work. Yes I have .ini enabled in integration option. When I delete xnview.ini, and reopen the program, it just starts the setup wizard. Thumbnail cache is just not saved, even within one session. Is xnviewmp a lot different from xnview in terms of how it access the computer? I'm a noob.

Also, I noticed that when I change paths to "use windos registry" and click ok, the program closes. When I open it up again, the option still says "use .ini file in folder". It's like I can't change that option.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

which windows do you have?
Pierre.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

Windows 8.1
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tylenolthumb wrote:Windows 8.1
same as me... You don't change the ini&db path, right?
Pierre.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

I didn't change anything. I can still find .ini and .db files in <user>/AppData/Roaming/XnViewMP. Actually I can't change where it saves the .ini and .db files. They always go to the User (system) default folder. I deleted the .ini and .db files and ran the startup wizard again. This time I chose use .ini in program files and set my .db in a folder on desktop. However, after clicking OK, every still goes into the AppData/Roaming/XNviewMP folder.

Also, I tried uninstall a couple times and reinstalled, but same problem. I also noticed that even after reinstall, my computer remembers the menu's place in start menu, so it doesn't seem uninstall is completely uninstalling the program. How do I completely uninstall so I can do a complete reinstall?

Xnview classic works great but I don't know how it's different from XnviewMP. Is it possible for Xnview to view non-English files?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tylenolthumb wrote:I didn't change anything. I can still find .ini and .db files in <user>/AppData/Roaming/XnViewMP. Actually I can't change where it saves the .ini and .db files. They always go to the User (system) default folder. I deleted the .ini and .db files and ran the startup wizard again. This time I chose use .ini in program files and set my .db in a folder on desktop. However, after clicking OK, every still goes into the AppData/Roaming/XNviewMP folder.

Also, I tried uninstall a couple times and reinstalled, but same problem. I also noticed that even after reinstall, my computer remembers the menu's place in start menu, so it doesn't seem uninstall is completely uninstalling the program. How do I completely uninstall so I can do a complete reinstall?
Please send me your email by PM
Xnview classic works great but I don't know how it's different from XnviewMP. Is it possible for Xnview to view non-English files?
Unicode is not supported...
Pierre.
tylenolthumb

Post by tylenolthumb »

my thumb.db and xnview.db are not getting modified
budafuco

Post by budafuco »

I have the same problem since I installed XNVIEW MP. Nothing I do makes it remember thumbnails. I can full build thumbnails for a folder of pictures, click out of it, click back, and it has to rebuild the thumbnails. Win 10, clean system. Uninstalled, reinstalled, verified folder rights. Tried as admin. Windows explorer remembers thumbnails fine.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:

Can you check your settings.

Options>> Catalog
Tick: enable thumbnail caching. also make sure you haven't got a max size set.