No video thumbnails?!

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

showmeinfinity

No video thumbnails?!

Post by showmeinfinity »

XnView Classic shows thumbnails of all video formats, though only as placeholders without pictures. Clicking on one will play it as a preview. But XnView MP doesn't show thumbnails of any video files! It doesn't even show them in the list view. I have installed the K-Lite Codec Pack but that didn't help. I have associated all the file formats with XnView, and in the settings all the formats are checked as visible. What could be the problem?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: No video thumbnails?!

Post by xnview »

which version do you have?
Pierre.
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

XnViewMP v 0.76.1 x64, Libformat v 6.80
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

showmeinfinity wrote:XnViewMP v 0.76.1 x64, Libformat v 6.80
please install 0.78
Pierre.
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

Ok, I installed v .78, but still am not seeing any video thumbnails or filenames. I'm running it on a new Dell Precision workstation with Win 7 pro. I love your software, so I hope there's some solution to this... I'll gladly buy a license if I can get it to work for me!
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

Also, when I open a folder that I know contains videos, there are some thumbnails that appear for less than a second, then they disappear. They're not visible long enough for me to tell what they are, but maybe this is some kind of clue to what's going on....
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Ok, I installed v .78, but still am not seeing any video thumbnails or filenames.
You don't even see file names ?? wierd

What view mode are you in. ie. Thumbs+labels or just thumbs..
What do you see a black box or something else

I notice i had a problem when I had "show 4 thumbs for videos" checked, I had to uncheck this
and had to up the extracted frames to 2%

And you have checked
-Settings
--File list
--custom filter
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

showmeinfinity wrote:Ok, I installed v .78, but still am not seeing any video thumbnails
Same on Linux (Manjaro, Mint, Ubuntu) so far.
No thumbnails, no previews.
For me at least.
MP 1.5.0 x64: Debian 12 (KDE); Manjaro (KDE); Windows 10 x64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

showmeinfinity wrote:Ok, I installed v .78, but still am not seeing any video thumbnails or filenames. I'm running it on a new Dell Precision workstation with Win 7 pro. I love your software, so I hope there's some solution to this... I'll gladly buy a license if I can get it to work for me!
no filenames??
Pierre.
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

Yes, when I go to the list view, the video files are not included. I just tried changing the settings for only one thumb per folder view, and upping the video frame extract % to 2, then, 5, then 10. Nothing works. In XnView Classic, the video files are sort of there; the thumbnails show the file info, but the thumbnail image is blank. And when I click on the blank, it'll play in the preview window.
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

I do have Video checked in settings... Visible, Show as Thumbnail, Show in Preview are all checked. The video formats in that area are: MPEG, Quicktime, and AVI.
Erixx haxx wrote:
Ok, I installed v .78, but still am not seeing any video thumbnails or filenames.
You don't even see file names ?? wierd

What view mode are you in. ie. Thumbs+labels or just thumbs..
What do you see a black box or something else

I notice i had a problem when I had "show 4 thumbs for videos" checked, I had to uncheck this
and had to up the extracted frames to 2%

And you have checked
-Settings
--File list
--custom filter
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

Also, I just noticed that in XnView Classic, I do see thumbnails of AVI files, but only blanks for MOV and MTS files. I do have the Quicktime player installed.
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

And... I installed IrfanView, which has a much more primitive interface, but has no problem showing thumbnails for all the videos. I'm only mentioning that to show that it is possible. I sure prefer the XnView software though, if I could just get this problem worked out.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello,

If your not seeing file names than you may have a bigger issue... The view mode you should be in is "Thumbs+Filename" or "thumbs+labels"

It possible that quick time codec maybe inter-fearing with K-lite's. I won't say that for sure and let Pierre give advice on that.

As far as classic goes, you can get ffmpeg.exe and put it inside your addons folder to help show other formats than .avi
I had this issue too.. Their is also a line in the . ini file may need added. the post is in the xnview classic threads.
Remember Classic and MP are very different code base.
Here:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31863
showmeinfinity

Post by showmeinfinity »

Hmmm... I added ffmpeg.exe to the XnView Classic addons folder.... didn't help. I looked at all the settings in the .ini file, they are as specified in the other thread. I'm about to give up and maybe get ACDSee.... makes me sad though....
Thanks for trying to help!