Affinity Photo & Designer previews

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

rsistudio

Affinity Photo & Designer previews

Post by rsistudio »

I have recently started using XNviewMP & Affinity Photo & Designer for my photo editing hobbies & enjoy learning them all so far. I'm unable to preview .afphoto (haven't used .afdesign type as of yet) image files at the moment, is there a way to add this to the pre-viewable file types or is it a feature I should request from the pros?
many thanks.
Last edited by rsistudio on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Affinity Photo & Designer previews

Post by xnview »

could you send me a .afphoto file?
Pierre.
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

I've attached file .afphoto here ~2mb, no layers file. If you require the same one with a couple of simple adjustment layers then I have it also but it is around 4mb.
cheers
link deleted
Last edited by rsistudio on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

this format contains a PNG, so i'm able to extract the preview. Is it enough, or do you want to open full image?
Pierre.
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

Hi Pierre, first of all let me say thank you for your attention concerning this question. I've been using your application for about 2 weeks and it is a great image browser, once a little time has been spent to learn the details like file type colour coding for example.

I'm not sure what you mean by open the full image. Do you mean open it to be edited with XnViewMP's own toolset? At the moment I can only see the Affinity Photo app. icon for their files, so I'd be happy to review & compare the actual images like XnView can do for tifs, jpgs and all the others.

much appreciated & a highly recommendable app you have created
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

rsistudio wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by open the full image. Do you mean open it to be edited with XnViewMP's own toolset? At the moment I can only see the Affinity Photo app. icon for their files, so I'd be happy to review & compare the actual images like XnView can do for tifs, jpgs and all the others.
  • Limited support (e.g. CorelDRAW CDR, SketchUP SKP)
    XnView extracts the embedded preview which is sufficient for generating a thumbnail etc.
  • Full support (e.g. Photoshop PSD)
    XnView opens the image in full resolution as a multi-page file, loading each layer as a new page.
Embedded low-res preview of "St James, Louth.afphoto"
Embedded low-res preview of "St James, Louth.afphoto"
p133262.png (332.35 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

I've seen examples of Adobe Bridge showing full sized flattened(?) previews of tifs & psd, so it looked easy to choose the files to work on. Never experienced a layer by layer breakdown in an image viewer. Do .psd & tif files have larger sized embedded previews? No idea how Bridge does it.

In Mac OS X quickview I noticed that it is showing the same size afphoto preview as you have attached above, would be nice to see even a small preview in XnView rather than nothing at all.
cheers
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

rsistudio wrote:Do .psd & tif files have larger sized embedded previews?
PSDs have only fairly small (160 pixels) thumbnails embedded in them, as far as I know.
Extracted from http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/edge/reflow/samples/BracketsIO.psd
Extracted from http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/edge/reflow/samples/BracketsIO.psd
p133269_1.jpg (3.86 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
George (Super User » [url=http://www.superuser.com/questions/861669#905565]Can TIFF images store embedded thumbnails in them like JPEG (JPG) files can?[/url]) wrote:According to FreeImage Documentation http://downloads.sourceforge.net/freeim ... ge3170.pdf , which is a library used by various software programs that work with images, thumbnails can be set and retrieved for the TIFF format regardless of the compression method used.

This is what is says in regards to TIFF format: "The TIF format has no restriction regarding the thumbnail bit depth, but a standard bitmap type is recommended."

So, I guess the answer to your question is that yes, thumbnails are certainly supported by the TIFF format. the only question is which software programs actually support and expose this functionality and to what extent.
PS: In addition to the PNG preview (383×512px), I was able to extract a 1712×2288px JPEG from your .afphoto sample with JPEGsnoop's Export JPEG command :-?
p133269_2.jpg
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

PS: In addition to the PNG preview (383×512px), I was able to extract a 1712×2288px JPEG from your .afphoto sample with JPEGsnoop's Export JPEG command
This sneaky jpeg you found buried in there appears to be the original pic with no edits, not sure how that is useful to anyone (except the security snoops or something :shock: ) No wonder file sizes are strange from their apps. This might explain it.

Of course the trouble now is, how do you preview the editing work you have done? It's no use editing pictures and not being able to preview the work done externally. Fortunately the png was there, although small.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the sample sent has some editing?
Pierre.
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

A little editing yes, I thought it best to do so because that it what aPhoto would be used for and would be a good sample to use. The wires across the buildings were cloned out, that's all. The png preview you found is fine but the jpg found is the same as the unedited version. Can't see why an editing program would keep a copy of the original inside the edited file but I'm no expert on that subject.
M-B

Post by M-B »

Here are three multilayer samples from Affinty Photo & Designer and Adobe Illustrator:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwsjN ... XpvYUlubTQ

As you seen on that screenshot, Finder shows a correct preview oft these files.
It would be great if XnView support those files (and vector formats like SVG & EPS), as thumbnails or even better as a full preview, if it's possible.

Thank you for all the work behind and for this great and free software!
rsistudio

Post by rsistudio »

In my case, the Mac OS finder Quickviews the correct edited aPhoto preview, but only at the embedded png file dimension & not at full size. Although it is a welcome piece of support, it is limited.
M-B

Post by M-B »

I think, even a small png preview would be a great help to find and open files. I have many old .ai, .svg and now the new affinity files and use the Finder parallel to watch, open and organize these files, but I would much rather use XnView for everything. It is way better!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a file with some editing?
Pierre.