Broken multipage convert?

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

flatleyld

Broken multipage convert?

Post by flatleyld »

I'm using version 1.73, and I'm converting a multipage tif to another multipage tif. I'm setting the DPI to 150 and the bit depth to binary. Every multipage tif I try to change those settings on, produces only the first page instead of all of them. I have "Convert all pages from multipage file" selected. Any ideas or is this a known bug?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Broken multipage convert?

Post by cday »

flatleyld wrote:I'm using version 1.73, and I'm converting a multipage tif to another multipage tif. I'm setting the DPI to 150 and the bit depth to binary. Every multipage tif I try to change those settings on, produces only the first page instead of all of them. I have "Convert all pages from multipage file" selected. Any ideas or is this a known bug?
I'm away from home so I can't check, but I think you'll find a setting on the Output tab that you need to enable...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you can convert a multipage into separate pages, but not multipage into multipage (only with nconvert)
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote:you can convert a multipage into separate pages, but not multipage into multipage (only with nconvert)
Isn't there a setting 'Convert multipage to multipage (When possible)' or something similar: does that not work for multipage TIFFs, I'm sure I've used it for processing multipage PDFs...

Of course, you should know... :wink:
flatleyld

Post by flatleyld »

There is a setting, and I've done this before. I'm not sure why now it's no longer working. I'll check out nconvert and see if that does what I need.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

flatleyld wrote:There is a setting, and I've done this before. I'm not sure why now it's no longer working. I'll check out nconvert and see if that does what I need.
If you care to post a screenshot of the XnConvert Output tab I should be able to point out the setting I referred to, otherwise I'll be home in a couple of days and try to remember to do a quick test.

I've certainly processed multipage PDF to multipage PDF directly, not possible in XnView Classic or MP as far as I know, do you recall doing that with XnConvert for TIFFs?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sorry you're right :D :D there is a setting
I've tested with a multipage tiff file and it's ok
Pierre.
flatleyld

Post by flatleyld »

Weird. If I choose "Convert Multipage file to multipage file (when possible)" I get an 0x0x0 open error on the status, but it converts the first page. When I have selected "Convert all pages from multipage file", it completes successfully but it says it converted 2 pages (the original had 41 pages). When I open the tif, it only shows the 1st page and no other pages. I don't know if this is normal operation, but for the 1 file, it shows in the status that it loaded it twice and saved it twice.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

You need both those settings enabled, is that how you're testing?
flatleyld

Post by flatleyld »

I'm testing one or the other. With both enabled I get the 0x0x0 open error, and it still strips out all pages but the first.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

flatleyld wrote:I'm testing one or the other. With both enabled I get the 0x0x0 open error, and it still strips out all pages but the first.
You could possibly create a new, small multipage TIFF using XnView (the function is in the browser) and test that, in case the file(s) you are testing are faulty in some way...

Edit:

Can you open your file(s) in XnView and step through the pages normally using the small arrows on the toolbar?
flatleyld

Post by flatleyld »

I created a multi-page tiff, with xnview, and tried to convert it. No dice. I still only end up with the first page. After the conversion, XnView only shows the first page.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

flatleyld wrote:I created a multi-page tiff, with xnview, and tried to convert it. No dice. I still only end up with the first page. After the conversion, XnView only shows the first page.
Two things you could possibly do:

1. Upload a test multipage TIFF that you can't convert, 2MiB the current forum limit, otherwise to a file hosting service.

2. Post a screenshot of your output tab, at least.

I will be travelling today, I hope...
flatleyld

Post by flatleyld »

Here is the output and file.

C:\Users\user\Desktop\testpages - Copy.tif (1) 1700x2200x1 : loaded
C:\Users\user\Desktop\testpages - Copy.tif 0x0x0 : open error
C:\Users\user\Desktop\testpages - Copy.tif : open error

Input files: 1
Extracted pages: 1
Overwritten: 1

Total Duration: 0 second(s)
Attachments
testpages.tif
(15.56 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Your test file converts successfully for me with these settings:
Image_1.png
Image_2.png
XnConvert 1.73 x32 ZIP version tested.

Edit:

The following settings also converted successfully:
Image_3.png
So that is probably the preferred set up, and I have learned something myself... :)