2.39: Crash with Ctrl+Right mouse click in browser

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

uRsti11anError

2.39: Crash with Ctrl+Right mouse click in browser

Post by uRsti11anError »

<Moderator's note: This post has been edit - please see and follow Rules and Guidelines>
Find a file with Unicode characters in filename in list, hold [Control] and do a right mouse button click on it to pop up standard Explorer menu.
Voila, crash. Unhandled exception when trying to access memory addressed by null-pointer.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Nullptr access crash

Post by cday »

uRsti11anError wrote: Obviously, automatically exclude such files from Browser's list is a task beyond XnView developer's skills.
I think it's a question of priorites: Pierre has indicated that XnView Classic is now difficult to work on, and 'MP has long been seen as the eventual replacement with many enhancements, but as is the norm in devopment it is requiring more effort than foreseen... :wink:

So please think and be gratefull for what Pierre is giving us...
uRsti11anError

Post by uRsti11anError »

It's his decision to put his software for the public, I didn't asked for it. When I find bugs, I report them. If he does not fix them, it only influences my opinion about him as developer.
some unnamed moderator wrote:<Moderator's note: This post has been edit - please see and follow Rules and Guidelines>
Whoa, some heavy censorship is happening here. Probably my following bug reports I should try to release through RT news channel as a source of more objective information.
Last edited by uRsti11anError on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

uRsti11anError wrote:It's his decision to put his software for the public, I didn't asked for it. When I find bugs, I report them. If he does not fix them, it only influences my opinion about him as developer.
We're all entitled to our personal opinions, of course, but please try not to be unkind in public...
helmut

Post by helmut »

uRsti11anError wrote:It's his decision to put his software for the public, I didn't asked for it. When I find bugs, I report them. If he does not fix them, it only influences my opinion about him as developer.
some unnamed moderator wrote:<Moderator's note: This post has been edit - please see and follow Rules and Guidelines>
Whoa, some heavy censorship is happening here. Probably my following bug reports I should try to release through RT news channel as a source of more objective information.
This "unnamed moderator" who edited your inadequate post was me. I've sent you a moderator warning which announced and reasoned the edition of your post, yesterday, so you shouldn't be surprised.

Back to your problem:
XnView Classic has no Unicode support and at the moment it's unlikely that this will change. Crashes should be avoided at any rate - especially if they happen in standard usage. I'll try to reproduce and confirm your bug (other people may also try if they want). Perhaps Pierre can analyse the crash and find a way to workaround it (this doesn't mean that Unicode is supported and XnView works as expected, it would simply mean that XnView no longer crashes).
uRsti11anError

Post by uRsti11anError »

helmut wrote:Back to your problem:
XnView Classic has no Unicode support and at the moment it's unlikely that this will change. Crashes should be avoided at any rate - especially if they happen in standard usage. I'll try to reproduce and confirm your bug (other people may also try if they want). Perhaps Pierre can analyse the crash and find a way to workaround it (this doesn't mean that Unicode is supported and XnView works as expected, it would simply mean that XnView no longer crashes).
If you didn't have deleted all that you have deleted from my first post (as it seems together with your memory), you would not had to repeat it once more with your own words. Next time don't look for offense where there's no offense but simple statement of facts.