Filter images by camera model?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

drjenk

Filter images by camera model?

Post by drjenk »

How do I do this? I can't seem to find how, thanks
helmut

Re: Filter images by model?

Post by helmut »

Thank you for registering to the XnView forum and thank you for your request, drjenk.
drjenk wrote:How do I do this? I can't seem to find how, thanks
What do you mean by filtering by model? Do you mean the file format of the images (JPEG, GIF, PNG, ...)?
drjenk

Post by drjenk »

I mean by camera model. I actually found it in the "search" dialog, which took a minute or two on a single folder. But I was more hoping for a "filter by" model to kind of display it quicker, like a database would offer. Isn't the exif data stored in a database with this application? Or do I just need to add my collection to the database, perhaps I haven't somehow?
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

drjenk wrote:I mean by camera model. I actually found it in the "search" dialog, which took a minute or two on a single folder. But I was more hoping for a "filter by" model to kind of display it quicker, like a database would offer. Isn't the exif data stored in a database with this application? Or do I just need to add my collection to the database, perhaps I haven't somehow?
:D :D :D

From which DAM do you come? Welcome among us!

Some background info (skip it if you want):

XnView MP is much much faster and scalable than other DAMs on the market (that is it can handle huge catalogs without speed problems). One of the main reasons is that its DB backend isn't a huge forest of fields which store any bit of metadata in fat tables with the hope that someone somewhere will do such a search (yes, Lightroom, I'm looking at you).

XnView stores the metadata but in another way (in a blob) which isn't suitable for large searches on such fields, for the time being. Even if we have plans for a better architecture - even now you can find what you want but not by Filtering but by Sorting.

How to do it:

1. Make sure that you have the files which you want to sort in the Thumbs pane: go to a folder, Show all files (recursive), do a search, filter by category(ies), rating etc.

2. Show the files as a table by going to View > View As > Details

3. Click on the header of column "Model" to sort them.

4. Show the files back as thumbs (if you want)

5. Enjoy! :D
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
metal450

Post by metal450 »

m.Th. wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm Even if we have plans for a better architecture - even now you can find what you want but not by Filtering but by Sorting.
Question: did this ever get implemented?

I was hoping to replace LR with XnView for cataloging, but I use filtering pretty extensively, & to be totally honest, I find this solution to be extremely slow & clunky by comparison :(

*By sorting as proposed, you're limited to only one criteria at a time (i.e. not a camera & a lens, or a pathname & a month of the year, etc). It's also pretty cumbersome to scroll through a huge list looking for when that column changes to the next value, rather than just picking the item you're looking for & having it exclude all images that aren't relevant.

*I know that you can do multiple criteria with "Search," but again, that's significantly more cumbersome than LR's filtering - you have to know the value to search for rather than picking from a list, & the results are presented as text filenames, so you can't really tell if it's what you're looking for. There's also no way to "refine" as you go, by ticking filters on & off.

I keep really trying to use XnView MP over LR (as I'm now on Linux primarily), but it's so much more difficult to find stuff without being able to filter that it tends to be faster just to completely reboot into Windows, find the image I need in LR, then reboot to Linux again.

If this hasn't been implemented, is there an issue/thread somewhere I could follow, to be notified of potential progress? :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

metal450 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:32 am If this hasn't been implemented, is there an issue/thread somewhere I could follow, to be notified of potential progress? :)
not yet implemented, but i work on that...
Pierre.
metal450

Re: Filter images by camera model?

Post by metal450 »

Thanks for the reply - glad to hear it's being worked on, then :)