XnView MP import and sort: some questions

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: XnView MP import and sort: some questions

Post by m.Th. »

I've just a dobut about double "rename and convert" in source and destination. Maybe my english is just a bit rusty, and I do not understand exactly what you mean, but I perceive it as redundat.
Almost nobody will check the Rename and/or Convert BOTH in source AND destination.

Depending on the needs, there are users which will check them at source - the ones who need the converted files ASAP - OR there are users which will check them at destination - the ones who need to free the memory card ASAP.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
andalo

Post by andalo »

Hi m.Th.,
thank you for explanation.
Actually, more options > more freedom of choice. I did not cosider operations on source, but, under that point of view, someone would need it.
Now i see.

thank you,

:)
arrgain

Post by arrgain »

Hello,
Does developer has any plans to implement import from modern smartphones via MTP protocol?
I've just tried to import some stuff from my both androids using portable 0.84 on Win 7 x64. The dialog window allows me to choose any element from them (a root folder or dive deeper into subfolders), but source field path remains blanc, unfortunately.
Please correct me if MTP support was already done and i'm just doing something wrong.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Feature "Template filename in Import&sort dialog" has been added in 0.85. Could you please download the current test version, check, and confirm?
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

helmut wrote:Feature "Template filename in Import&sort dialog" has been added in 0.85. Could you please download the current test version, check, and confirm?
Take care, helmut, - if you respond to arrgain - his request is quite different and IMHO it doesn't have anything to do with this thread, except perhaps the word „Import”.

XnView MP's „Import” means a simple file copy with some sauce added on it.

arrgain's request is related to a different way of communicating with a storage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol . This is NOT an external USB stick added to a computer but an entire protocol which „magically” finds the images / files and transfer them to his PC.

The solution for him now is to dig in Android's file system and find by hand the path with the files which he needs to copy, copy/paste the path in the Source edit box and continue from here.
m. Th.

helmut

Post by helmut »

m.Th. wrote:
helmut wrote:Feature "Template filename in Import&sort dialog" has been added in 0.85. Could you please download the current test version, check, and confirm?
Thank you for your explanation, m.Th. I just used the links in 0.85 changelog and added the note above. Looks like the description and/or link in the changelog don't fit.
arrgain

Post by arrgain »

m.Th. wrote:arrgain - his request is quite different and IMHO it doesn't have anything to do with this thread, except perhaps the word „Import”.

XnView MP's „Import” means a simple file copy with some sauce added on it.

arrgain's request is related to a different way of communicating with a storage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol . This is NOT an external USB stick added to a computer but an entire protocol which „magically” finds the images / files and transfer them to his PC.

The solution for him now is to dig in Android's file system and find by hand the path with the files which he needs to copy, copy/paste the path in the Source edit box and continue from here.
I clearly understand what MTP is. I've asked because XnView MP allows to choose MTP device in its import dialog, confusing a user (me myself in that particular case) with no notice that such things are not supported, but instead leaving source filed blank - i personally treat such behaviour as a bug.
So i believe that:
- XnView MP should not allow to choose unsupported devices in its import dialog, OR
- Throw a pop up with "no support" explanation.

You may like MTP or not (i personally hate this M$ crap), but nowadays near 99% android smartphones allows only MTP/PTP connection to PC and most of them have only internal memory.
Also, many people have DSLR's, compact camera and smartphones at their households and shoot pics with them all.
Why we do not want to have a simple, flexible import and sort tool like XnView which allows to import, sort and rename photo and video stuff from all actual sources?

ADD:
Total Commander MTP plugin works perfectly and 145kb only: https://totalcmd.net/plugring/winmedaudio2.html
Source code available. I doubt there is any "magic" in it.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Preamble:
Also, many people have DSLR's, compact camera and smartphones at their households and shoot pics with them all.
Card readers for dSLRs. :)

I clearly understand what MTP is.
The explanation wasn't for you. :)

It was obvious that you know what you're talking about.
So i believe that:
- XnView MP should not allow to choose unsupported devices in its import dialog,
Hummm... this requires checking BEFORE selection. Not good.

I would think now as a fallback if no path (?) is given from said device.

Steps:

1. Check if no path and no file is given (no „\” path separator and 0 files in the „root” directory)
2. If yes, then we have a problem. Fallback and check if supports MTP
3. if yes, then use the code from the link provided above to take them

..but here is a problem: this engine should NOT be put in Import & Sort because here (UNfortunately) we are forced to select a subfolder based on date/time. If this choice would be optional (see my mockup in one of my earlier posts) then the above workflow would be perfect.
m. Th.

arrgain

Post by arrgain »

m.Th. wrote:Card readers for dSLRs. :)
My English is broken, the main thought was that many people shoot with different devices and would like to use one import & sort solution for them all.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

arrgain wrote:
m.Th. wrote:Card readers for dSLRs. :)
My English is broken, the main thought was that many people shoot with different devices and would like to use one import & sort solution for them all.
Sure. Of course. :)

Another topic (quoting myself)
this engine should NOT be put in Import & Sort because here (UNfortunately) we are forced to select a subfolder based on date/time. If this choice would be optional (see my mockup in one of my earlier posts) then the above workflow would be perfect.
Definitely it needs fixing the Import dialog (see mockup several posts above) and not to introduce this engine somewhere else.

Everybody is used with a single Import module (or „ingesting” - if we use PhotoMechanic's vocabulary).
m. Th.