xnview vs irfanview

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

besonen

xnview vs irfanview

Post by besonen »

is anyone aware of a feature comparison of xnview and irfanview?

irfanview is located here: http://www.irfanview.com/

i'd also like to hear about personal experiences of irfanview and how it compares to xnview based on real-world usage.

thanks,
david
As Hope Dies

Post by As Hope Dies »

IrfanView is faster, more stable, and have much faster hi-qualitty zoom.
XnView has a more modern interface, skins, great image browser and thumbnail options.

IMHO the only thing IrfanView misses is thumbnail cacheing, and XnView, the zoom modes.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: xnview vs irfanview

Post by XnTriq »

Hi david,

check out the list of awards given to XnView. The most recent compared review would probably be Softpedia's Free Image Viewers Challenge of July 15, 2006:
Codrut Nistor wrote:XnView 1.82.4
Final station, my friends! This is Feature-Feast City, and you can visit the Plugins Park and many other attractions!

XnView is a monster viewer, supporting over four hundreds file formats! It is also extremely customizable and has only one drawback – it's not free for commercial use.

I know it's unfair to treat this program lightly, but I just can't tell you stories about it. This is not something that you should try, this a program that you must try, at least!

Predefined layouts, support for Adobe Photoshop plugins, audio and video built in players, rich viewing and editing features, everything you want, you got it!

What don’t I like? Oh, my, you have to pay to use this for commercial use! Even more, it doesn't have a favorites menu! This is nothing, compared to the goodies...

What do I like? The rest of it. Really, you have to like this program, at least!

Why use it? XnView is one of the most powerful image viewers out there and can compete without problems with CompuPic or ACD See.

[...]

Conclusions

Today I think we have a really close finish! To draw a quick line, I can say that XnView leads, followed by IrfanView, FastStone Viewer and Force Vision. Fresh View finishes last, but doesn't have anything to be ashamed of.
helmut

Re: xnview vs irfanview

Post by helmut »

besonen wrote:is anyone aware of a feature comparison of xnview and irfanview?

irfanview is located here: http://www.irfanview.com/

i'd also like to hear about personal experiences of irfanview and how it compares to xnview based on real-world usage.
To be honest I don't like such comparisons at all for various reasons: Most people in this forum are XnView users, so I'm pretty sure that they like XnView and will find many points for XnView and many against using IrfanView.

And often those discussions end up in some sort of fight and emotional discussions: "Are you blind? My Apple computer is much better than your PC, just look at the design!". Such discussions are a waste of time. So I would like to end this comparison topic before it has started at all.

Just my 2 cents (as user - not as moderator)...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

As Hope Dies wrote:and XnView, the zoom modes.
Which zoom modes??
Pierre.
As Hope Dies

Post by As Hope Dies »

xnview wrote:
As Hope Dies wrote:and XnView, the zoom modes.
Which zoom modes??
Errr...just fasting hi quality zoom :)
Troken

Post by Troken »

I hated that IrfanView had two separate windows for image browsing and the thumbnail view. Very userunfriendly interface. Otherwise it was a nice program. But enough to change into XnView, and I would never change back now.