File associations on Windows XP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

wlashack

File associations on Windows XP

Post by wlashack »

i have installed XnView on my WinXP system and have a problem with file associations. i have XnView icons for JPEG and other graphics filetypes but when i doubleclick them, they open in a Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer instead of XnView. someone can help? thanks.

and one more question: is there any possibility to use picture browser maximized all the time? the problem is that i maximize browser, choose a picture and doubleclick it. XnView switches into Viewer window where i can see the picture at its full size. but now when i switch (by doubleclick the picture) back to the Browser, its window changes size to the previously viewed picture and i need to maximize it manually back. any solution? thanks a lot.
helmut

Re: file association

Post by helmut »

Hello,

I have heard of a problem with file associations on Windows XP, but I don't know the answer. Would be good if someone could place a solution and a step-by-step descripion, here.
wlashack wrote: ... and one more question: is there any possibility to use picture browser maximized all the time? ...
To better understand what you mean and what is going on it would be good if you could provide your .ini file (Typically C:\Programme\XnView\xnview.ini). Could you mail the .ini file to me?

Regards,

Helmut
wlashack

maximizing picture browser - now it works fine to me

Post by wlashack »

maximizing picture browser works fine now. i think the problem was solved by restarting the PC. i found a checkbox that (possibly) set this option on but i did not work even after restarting the application. now it works fine to me.

but the problem with opening pictures in Microsoft Picture and Fax Browser remains.

Re: file association

Post by Guest »

wlashack wrote:i have installed XnView on my WinXP system and have a problem with file associations. i have XnView icons for JPEG and other graphics filetypes but when i doubleclick them, they open in a Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer instead of XnView. someone can help? thanks.
Besides associating file types wit xnview, you have to set xnview as the default program to open these files. As far as I know, you can do that by right clicking on, say, a .png file, Open With, and select xnview. And DO NOT FORGET to check the option Always use this program to open this file, or something like that, it is under the program selection frame. We all have to thank for that to old Bill :evil: :x :(

Post by Guest »

yeah, i know this but this is manual method that i need to apply for each data format. but i do not understand why i have all the graphics data formats marked with XnView icon but after doubleclicking them it opens in Microsoft Picture Viewer.
DThody

Post by DThody »

One solution to the persistent 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' is to go into 'Folder Options' 'File Types' tab of MS Explorer, navigate to the extension you wish to open in other than 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer', select and then pick the 'Advanced' button. In the new window select 'New' then use 'edit' as your action (assuming that 'edit' is not already in the list - if it is pick something else which is not in the list, but don't use 'preview'), and set the 'Application used...' to the program file of choice - presumably 'XnView' in this context. Then click 'OK' and your new creation should be in the list. Then select it - so that it is highlighted and click on 'Set default'. Note that the 'open' action being set as default will not override the 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' which uses the 'preview' action, but doesn't typically show that in the list, and which Microsoft has apparently designed to override the 'open' action as a default.
Click 'OK' a couple of times and then try double clicking on a file with the extension you just modified and it should open up in the application you specified.

Hope this helps,
Danny

Post by Guest »

All chosen file formats should automatically link to XnView. It has to be implemented in the installation process.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hi,

As a new XnView convert, I'd agree that it would be great if XnView would have a surer way of setting system-wide file associations regardless of the program which calls it.

I've used PMView Pro for many years. One thing about PMView is that once you've set the file associations in the program, your specified file types would be opened with PMView under all circumstances. Under XnView I am experiencing mixed results. Some file associations "stick" while others do not. I do not use Windows Explorer at all, having replaced it with an alternative shell. However, I don't think this has anything to do with the file associations. Even in Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander), some of the file types I've associated with XnView still display "generic" icons.

Perhaps this problem could be set as a future improvement to be looked into? There should be some ways of making file associations "stick" firmly and propagate throughout the system.

Thanks.

Gareth.
tinyimp

Post by tinyimp »

try to remove this registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview
helmut

Post by helmut »

tinyimp wrote:try to remove this registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview
Thanks for your suggestion. But what does it do? Will it help fixing this problem?
tinyimp

Post by tinyimp »

It seems that removing this registry key solves the problem with associations (maybe i deleted more keys - i don't remember - if it doesn't work - report me). If you have XnView installed (or, maybe, other programs that create 'Open' menu element for images) then 'Preview' disappears from context menu and 'Open' becomes default action. So, XnView opens file by default.
Tested on WinXP SP1 and Win2003 Standard.
|VooDoo |

Post by |VooDoo | »

hello!

the same happens to me. i've been using ACDSee for a long time and already tried IrfanView and in both cases setting up the file associations in the program options was the only thing necessary to made it open the files by default. I think it's useless to have an "Associations" option were the files can't seem to open without registry-editing other programs.

<Moderator's Note: Parts of this post were moved to Quitting Fullscreen mode and Viewing large images>
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

for what i've seen the problem isn't in assiciating the file types.
it looks that even after setting Xnview assosiations, "preview" action keeps the default action on double click in explorer.
if you right-click and click "open" Xnview will open it.

so, could u make Xnview set the default action to "open" (with xnview), on all associated files?

thanks ;)
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote:for what i've seen the problem isn't in assiciating the file types.
it looks that even after setting Xnview assosiations, "preview" action keeps the default action on double click in explorer.
if you right-click and click "open" Xnview will open it.

so, could u make Xnview set the default action to "open" (with xnview), on all associated files?
You have the problem with the 1.82.4??? On Xp right?
Pierre.