Image scroll viewing feature?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ghost zero

Image scroll viewing feature?

Post by ghost zero »

There's a quick Flash animation of this concept on the net. It would be great if XnView can do something like this to speed up the experience of viewing multiple images and side-by-side! So users can jump to any picture in a folder a lot faster than viewing forward/back one pic at a time.

BTW: There used to be a program called PicWalker 4.2 that does similar to this, but it is no longer developed--and the implementation wasn't perfect.

Click link to see quick Flash animated demo:
http://megaswf.com/serve/82809/

Screenshot preview...
Last edited by ghost zero on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Image speeding viewing feature?

Post by xnview »

ghost zero wrote:Image

Quick Flash animation:
http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ingcn2.swf

There's a quick Flash animation of this concept on the net. It would be great if XnView can do something like this to speed up the experience of viewing multiple images and side-by-side! So users can jump to any picture in a folder a lot faster than viewing forward/back one pic at a time.
Yes, a great feature, an user has already made this request...
Pierre.
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

so is this a possibility of a next version of xnview?
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

any progress?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ghost zero wrote:any progress?
Currently i have other important things to do before that :-)
Pierre.
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

getting any closer yet?
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Oh this would be very cool to see,

I think it may be implemented best thing is not to pressure the author who is trying best to meet everyones needs
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

this feature would start the next image viewing revolution! :D
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

ghost zero wrote:this feature would start the next image viewing revolution! :D
WHat do you think on a Vista Media Centre like viewing mode for Xnview, would look cool too huh

SEE IMAGE :_ http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6553 ... otohg9.jpg
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

any chance?
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Hmm, both are not for me. May I suggest a solution that gives the same end result, but is much easier to implement and fully XnView like? Changing the thumbnail size!

Now guys, how many of you have ever done this? I bet many use the default size, some may have better monitors and set it a little bit bigger. I use 192 x 144 when I browse quickly through bigger folders. But changing to 384 x 288 lets me view the whole pic in real preview quality and browse throught the folder similar to the quickflash method presented above.

The only thing missing here is a hotkey that lets me change quickly between both thumbnail sizes...without going through the menu...and that should be easier to add than a completely new viewing mode...
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

pic_viewer wrote:The only thing missing here is a hotkey that lets me change quickly between both thumbnail sizes...without going through the menu...and that should be easier to add than a completely new viewing mode...
Yes! See my old request here!
John
ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

pic_viewer wrote:Hmm, both are not for me. May I suggest a solution that gives the same end result, but is much easier to implement and fully XnView like? Changing the thumbnail size!

Now guys, how many of you have ever done this? I bet many use the default size, some may have better monitors and set it a little bit bigger. I use 192 x 144 when I browse quickly through bigger folders. But changing to 384 x 288 lets me view the whole pic in real preview quality and browse throught the folder similar to the quickflash method presented above.

The only thing missing here is a hotkey that lets me change quickly between both thumbnail sizes...without going through the menu...and that should be easier to add than a completely new viewing mode...
but problem w large thumbnails is that they are cached, and we dont need duplicated large images on our hard drives. plus you cant go fullscreen mode with thumbnails...
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

ghost zero wrote:<snip>we dont need duplicated large images on our hard drives.<snip>
Sorry, but duplication is not an issue for me and many other users. Storage is so inexpensive these days that I have a couple of empty TB available most of the time. Duplicate thumbs is no problem.
John
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

JohnFredC wrote:Yes! See my old request here!
Oh...sorry, missed that one!