Transparency & alpha

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Transparency & alpha

Post by xnview »

I think that it will be good to move the 'Use transparency & alpha' from option/view to menu view
What do you think?
Dreamer a shortkey, please? :-)
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Yes, I’m all for it. :)

This great feature is (almost) unique to XnView and unrecognized by many users. It deserves a place in the menu, preferably next to Show Mask.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:Yes, I’m all for it. :)

This great feature is (almost) unique to XnView and unrecognized by many users. It deserves a place in the menu, preferably next to Show Mask.
Ok, so 'use alpha channel' and 'use transparent index' in view mode and for preview in browser. But if we change the setting in one view mode, the other view and preview-browser must change??
Currently it was a global setting...
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

xnview wrote:But if we change the setting in one view mode, the other view and preview-browser must change??
Currently it was a global setting...
If I understand correctly we have two choices here:
  1. Make it work like the Show Mask command, which can be activated on every open image independently.
  2. Make it a global setting. Display of all open images will be refreshed when the setting is changed.
I'm still hoping other users will share their thoughts too.
Last edited by XnTriq on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:[*]Make it work like the Show Mask command, which can be activated on every open image independently.
But if it's a local settings, so one setting for each view mode, and for preview.
And how to change the initial value?
[*]Make it a global setting. Display of all open images will be refreshed when the setting is changed.
No thoughts? :(
Pierre.
nightflyer

Post by nightflyer »

Are you talking about color-indexed images with alpha channel and transparency colour set? What is 'Show mask' about then?

I think it is not important to make entry for such setting in Options. It is enough to remember menu option state. Default transparency and alpha should be used, because it is how image creator intended them to be shown.
-=nightflyer=-
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

nightflyer wrote:Are you talking about color-indexed images with alpha channel and transparency colour set? What is 'Show mask' about then?
Show mask is show alpha channel
I think it is not important to make entry for such setting in Options. It is enough to remember menu option state. Default transparency and alpha should be used, because it is how image creator intended them to be shown.
So only ONE setting for view & preview ?
Pierre.
nightflyer

Post by nightflyer »

xnview wrote:So only ONE setting for view & preview ?
I think yes, with hotkey to easy toggle it.
-=nightflyer=-
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

nightflyer wrote:
xnview wrote:So only ONE setting for view & preview ?
I think yes, with hotkey to easy toggle it.
Which hot keys can be used for 'use alpha channel' and 'use transparent index'??
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

For users who haven't played with XnView's transparency features yet, I've put together some (animated) screenshots in order to illustrate what these commands and settings actually do:
  • Image 1
    Image Image 2/3
    Image 4
  1. Quezako: Logiciels Favoris » xnview.png (32-bit RGBA)
  2. Christopher Schmitt: Fart Bucks » spacesuit.png (32-bit RGBA) « Spacewalk.gif
  3. PNG Home Site: Photographic PNGs with Alpha Transparency » RedbrushAlpha-0.5.png (8-bit RGBA) on purple stucco
  4. CrystalXP.net: Quiet iCons » xnview0ug.png (32-bit RGBA)