0.87: Renaming a folder with a non-ASCII character name corrupts the database

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

shokuzai

0.87: Renaming a folder with a non-ASCII character name corrupts the database

Post by shokuzai »

XnView: MP 0.87 - 64 bit

Effect: Corrupted database

Detail:
- The category assignments and the tags are removed from the files inside the folder.
- But those files are still shown when browsing through Categories Filter.
- In Setting -> Catalog -> Catalog -> Cached directory, two entries are created, for example:

D:\Pictures\漢字 (without backslash)
D:\Pictures\漢字\ (with backslash)
where 漢字 is the new name.

What are affected: folders whose names consist of non-ASCII characters, namely 漢字(Chinese characters) and かな(kana).

To reproduce:
Rename any of those folders to another such name inside XnView MP.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.87: Renaming a folder with a non-ASCII character name corrupts the database

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem. Even for ascii name!
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.87: Renaming a folder with a non-ASCII character name corrupts the database

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.88. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
miki

Post by miki »

Hello, i'm using version 0.88 and just trying to learn how to work with the catalog and it seems this bug is still there.

When I rename a "middle" folder in the pictures path (e.g. /parent/folder/pics/x.jpg -> /parent/folder2/pics/x.jpg), all the categories are lost for the files in the folder pics. They are still visible in the Categories Filter, but as invalid-lost files.

So, renaming seems to work only when the last folder in the path is renamed (e.g. /pics/x.jpg -> /pics2/x.jpg)... renaming any middle folder in the path corrupts the catalog.

Btw, is there any option to rebuild the catalog manually when folders are renamed/moved in another file manager? I tried the Optimize button in the Settings-Catalog, but no luck.

EDIT: I found a temporary workaround. I create a brand new folder with the desired name, then move there all the subfolders from the old folder. But of course, this is a cumbersome workflow for just renaming a folder.
Miki Proxima (meshlogic)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

miki wrote: When I rename a "middle" folder in the pictures path (e.g. /parent/folder/pics/x.jpg -> /parent/folder2/pics/x.jpg), all the categories are lost for the files in the folder pics. They are still visible in the Categories Filter, but as invalid-lost files.

So, renaming seems to work only when the last folder in the path is renamed (e.g. /pics/x.jpg -> /pics2/x.jpg)... renaming any middle folder in the path corrupts the catalog.
Right the previous fix was the problem, so here is the bug report
Pierre.
miki

Post by miki »

xnview wrote: Right the previous fix was the problem, so here is the bug report
Thank you very much for fixing this essential issue :) Is there a place to download the current beta/development version for testing?
Miki Proxima (meshlogic)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.89. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
ele123

Post by ele123 »

miki wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:03 pm Hello, i'm using version 0.88 and just trying to learn how to work with the catalog and it seems this bug is still there.

When I rename a "middle" folder in the pictures path (e.g. /parent/folder/pics/x.jpg -> /parent/folder2/pics/x.jpg), all the categories are lost for the files in the folder pics. They are still visible in the Categories Filter, but as invalid-lost files.

Btw, is there any option to rebuild the catalog manually when folders are renamed/moved in another file manager? I tried the Optimize button in the Settings-Catalog, but no luck.

EDIT: I found a temporary workaround. I create a brand new folder with the desired name, then move there all the subfolders from the old folder. But of course, this is a cumbersome workflow for just renaming a folder.
Same problem, the bug still exists, v0.93.1
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

how do you reproduce?
Pierre.
ele123

Post by ele123 »

xnview wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:41 pm how do you reproduce?
Thank you for your response. This bug may be related to Chinese characters.
1, Create folders (one in Chinese) and put some pictures in them, like this:

文件夹1 / folder2 / pic1.jpg

("文件夹" means folder)
2, Set all images some categories.
3, Rename "文件夹1" , and an error window will pop up "Error / An error occurs during rename!".
4, Restart the software and rename "文件夹1" again, now I lost "pic1.jpg" 's category.

5, If create the folder like this:

文件夹1 / folder2┌ folder3 / pic1.jpg
         └ pic2.jpg

and rename "folder2" , both pic1 and pic2 categories are lost. (-win10/1903, xnviewmp/v0.93.1 64bits, Sorry for my English.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ele123 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm
xnview wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:41 pm how do you reproduce?
Thank you for your response. This bug may be related to Chinese characters.
:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
I've sent a PM
Pierre.