Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Clo
XnThusiast

Improve “Strip of images” …

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre et alter

:) Hello !

ImageThis fonction has been already a bit improved, but recently I encountered some annoyances, hence I thought to means in order to add some advanced useful features…

• First, it should result in some additions on the actual dialogue that you can watch below :

—————————— Image
  1. “Add margin between images (px.)” : allows to set a separator between the images of the strip. In fact, when you use some files like icons, for instance to draw an icon-panel from strips, this looks uggly because all images are stuck ones others; this prevents to view each image properly…
    - Each position and width of such a margin can be set logically for each kind of strip ( horizontal or vertical).
    - Thus, they are placed on the same ranks than the choice radio-buttons.
    - The colour could be simply the current background colour of XnView.
  2. A simple static text control is added as an information for the user, it's shown here inside a yellow frame.
  3. A “Verify…” button is added too.
    - This is an eventual subsidiary feature to check the sizes of the selected image-files which can be useful in some cases, i.e. the board of icons quoted above or similar cases with square or rectangular images, needing to have absolutely the same sizes. This (quite fake) box is shown below :
——————————Image
  1. In the “Set size” section, one can set a size for (rather) rectangular images, this must be configured prior…
  2. The “Criteria” section allows to choose which mode should be used to check the sizes of the selected pictures.
  3. The “Verify now !” button launches the checking according to the stated settings.
  4. The result is shown in the flag-fields, the active one being in red here whether some files don't match the pattern, or else, with the string below -blurred in the example -
  5. The paths of the “faulty” files are displayed on the large “List of the faulty files ”, from wich they can be copied into the Clipboard via the “Copy faulty list” button.
  6. The “Highlight faulty…” button shows the faulty files as highlighted (Win default highlight colour) on the file list of the main dialogue like above.
    - So, they can be saw to be removed from the list, if the user wants to create the strip without them anyway.
  7. Or else, the “Abort Creation” button closes the two boxes whether the user wishes to resign the operation totally.
  8. When there is not any faulty file found, the “Close” button simply closes this box, one comes back to the main dialogue to achieve the creation of the strip.
Image In the actual main dialogue, I didn't add a previous improvement I thought to and presented here a while ago about a wrapping of the strip, to avoid endless images to scroll…

• What do you think ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I support your request.
Clo
XnThusiast

Thanks !

Post by Clo »

—> ckit

:) Hello C. !

- Thank you ! BTW, I'd really the two faulty files shown here, and spent > 2 hours to discover which ones and remake the drawing… :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

I support an 'add margin/border feature'. It might appeal to fans of comics (in addition to some other features which have been discussed a little). I need much time to read whole article.

Unforseen feature? You could use this to add borders to a photo by creating panorama of 1 picture.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Thanks !

Post by xnview »

Clo wrote:—> ckit

:) Hello C. !

- Thank you ! BTW, I'd really the two faulty files shown here, and spend > 2 hours to discover which ones and remake the drawing… :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Ok, thanks for your suggestions....
Pierre.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Looks like time to merge Strip of images and Contact sheet.
Strip is just one "band" of a contact sheet.

X.
Clo
XnThusiast

Also like you say---

Post by Clo »

—> marsh

:) Hello B. !
marsh wrote:I support an 'add margin/border feature'. It might appeal to fans of comics (in addition to some other features which have been discussed a little). I need much time to read whole article.

Unforseen feature? You could use this to add borders to a photo by creating panorama of 1 picture.
- Thank you ! Indeed, I proposed the simplest way to “unstick” the images, but this can be improved…
- So, you're right, one could build real comic strips, that is quite different than a part of a contact sheet having only thumb-nails, not the 1:1 scale pics !
- And yes, this could be used to add a border to any image, that is missing in the programme currently…
- I use often the strip to paste a bunch of small images on a drawing, especially icons as one go, instead to paste them one by one, it's faster… But some separator is missing actually.

Claude
Clo
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

support!
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Support!
John
SharkD

Post by SharkD »

Also, please make it so that alpha channels are preserved when using the strip-of-images or contact sheet.

Thanks.
Clo
XnThusiast

The ball is ---

Post by Clo »

:D Hello All !

- Thank you to support !

- Now, we have just to wait for the Pierre's opinion… Image

Claude
Clo