0.79: Line across top of GUI

Bugs that are confirmed but cannot be fixed for some reasons.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Erixx haxx

0.79: Line across top of GUI

Post by Erixx haxx »

This Seems to happen when changing views.

Here:
Attachments
Line is across to of folder tree and info panels as show here
Line is across to of folder tree and info panels as show here
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: v0.79 Line Across top of GUI BUG

Post by xnview »

do you have it in default theme?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Does the problem still occur in current v0.84, Erixx Haxx?
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:
helmut wrote:Does the problem still occur in current v0.84, Erixx Haxx?
Yes, I haven't figured out how to repo it yet, or what causes it either.
I've seen this now inside both themes also. When it happens on Default theme the line is blue instead.

Thanks
helmut

Post by helmut »

Erixx haxx wrote:Hi:
helmut wrote:Does the problem still occur in current v0.84, Erixx Haxx?
Yes, I haven't figured out how to repo it yet, or what causes it either.
I've seen this now inside both themes also. When it happens on Default theme the line is blue instead.
Hmm, I hoped that time would heal. ;)
- What happens if you move a second window over the XnView main window and hide and show the line, again (refresh)?
- Is the line still visible after resizing and/or minimizing and restoring the XnView window?
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

I've tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this with every theme on 0.84 x64 portable on Win7. I think helmut is thinking the same thing I am, which is that it looks like a video driver/adapter bug. By forcing a redraw via minimizing and restoring the window, covering it temporarily with another window, or possibly even moving the XnView window around, you can see if it goes away (which would indicate it's likely an issue with your hardware or drivers, though not necessarily) or if it remains (which would almost certainly mean it's an issue with XnView).

Another step to try would be restarting the computer. Also, depending on how often it occurs, how ambitious you feel, and if you have the skill set and necessary hardware, you could even try swapping video cards or switching to integrated graphics to see if the problem persists. But that's admittedly a pretty significant undertaking.

If I'm not mistaken (and somebody please correct me if I am), the xnview.ini file in the program folder should contain all of your configuration information, including theme and layout, and should not contain any personal info. If that's the case, you could attach that so we can try using your exact setup to see if that allows us to reproduce the problem. I tried configuring my layout like yours, but that may not be enough.
helmut

Post by helmut »

vertigo wrote:I've tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this with every theme on 0.84 x64 portable on Win7. I think helmut is thinking the same thing I am, which is that it looks like a video driver/adapter bug. ...
Correct, vertigo, that's exactly what I also suspect at the moment.
Erixx haxx

Re: 0.79: Line across top of GUI

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:
I don't think its graphics drivers: I've had 2 different cards do the same, I now have a top tier Nividia card, 3-4 different driver updates.

It happens mostly when Maximized and changing a theme or moving things around inside the browser GUI. Only fix is to close out and restart XnviewMP.
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

So you've tried minimizing, covering with another window, etc?

What do you mean by "moving things around inside the browser GUI?" As in moving files around, or moving the various areas around (i.e. 'Preview,' 'Categories,' etc)?

Remember, the more info you can provide the more help others can offer.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:
Yes this here:
vertigo wrote:moving the various areas around (i.e. 'Preview,' 'Categories,' etc)?
Or changing tabs, vertical, horz, ect
It just happens so random that I can't pinpoint or to busy to pay in depth as to what the cause is.
And yes, i've tried everything you can think of

I just think its some kind of GUI glitch, We've seen this throughout the program,
Namely Fulscreen. This seems cleared up now, but a few versions back we had the GUi's Main browser widget showing through along the bottom and right hand side of screen.
Also a line in fullscreen along the bottom and right hand side. I've been involved with both these bugs.

The line is the same color as the focus color for that theme, (Gray or Blue) so I think it has to do with that. Something behind the widgets are getting focus for some reason.
At fist we thought it was only under Dark theme, but now i've seen both doing it. Maybe This one will disappear like the other two did..
Thanks
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your detailed info, Erixx Haxx. As you know it's always hard to solve a problem if you cannot reproduce it.

There is a problem, though, therefore I move this on in the bug process so that Pierre can have a look into this.

:arrow: Reproduced (even though it hasn't been reproduced by a second user, yet).
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

I've been playing around with this and have reproduced something similar a few times, but cannot yet figure out how to do so reliably. I've switched back and forth between various layouts, in fullscreen, normal (windowed) mode, and switching back and forth. One time it happened was when I switched to layout 8, then back to my saved layout, but I've tried every variation of doing that (windowed mode > layout 8 > maximize > restore layout; maximize > layout 8 > restore layout; windowed mode > layout 8 > restore layout; ad nauseam) and can't get it to do it again.

Some of the time when this has happened the tabs on the left (Folders, Favorites, Categories Filter) have become inactive, where clicking them does nothing. Some (all?) of the time the arrows in the properties pane that expand/collapse the categories (File, Image, Camera) can't be clicked, seemingly due to their location to the left of the line, which it seems is a broken area; however, it's currently broken and I can't click those arrows, but the tabs previously mentioned can be clicked. I tried moving the preview pane where the info pane is, to see if it would fix the problem, but I accidentally dropped it on it instead of to the left of it and it put the two in the same spot with tabs to select which one is active. When the preview is active, clicking on it to the left of the line does nothing, which is the same behavior as with the arrows in the info pane, but clicking to the left of the line on the tab to switch to the preview pane works. However, when the info pane is active, and the tabs on top of it (Properties, Histogram, EXIF, etc) are showing, clicking to the left of the line on the properties tab doesn't work. The double arrow mouse cursor that shows when between panes, for resizing them, also doesn't work in this area. So some stuff "behind" it is broken and some stuff isn't. And while the arrows to collapse/expand the categories and the info pane properties tab (to the left of the line) are both inactive, the arrows light up when hovering the mouse over them, but the tab does not. So while they're both inactive, for some reason the arrows still react somewhat to the mouse, whereas the tab doesn't at all. I then moved another pane into its place (this time being sure to drop it to the left of it so it shifted the info/preview pane over and actually took its place) and the line stayed in the same spot, this time overlying the new pane, which is also broken behind the line.

It doesn't matter whether a file is selected or not.

Restarting XnView OR closing and reopening the browser tab fixes all of this, but maximizing/restoring, minimizing/restoring, covering it up with another window, scrolling the affected pane, switching to a viewer tab and back, and restoring the layout again do not. Switching to a different layout then restoring my saved layout didn't work on the first try, but then I switched around between a few different ones followed by another restore of mine and then it was fixed. The line also is not visible in other tabs, so it's an artifact of the browser, not the XnView GUI as a whole.

So far, it's happened probably 4-5 times, always the same line. Not sure if it's the same problem or a different one, since the line is in a different place, but if I, or someone else with this additional info, can figure out how to consistently reproduce it, maybe that will help Erixx be able to do the same with his.
Attachments
2017-02-21_190037b.png
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Quick update: I thought maybe whether the tabs on the left of the folder tree were broken or not may have to do with whether a file was selected or not when this happened, but it turns out it doesn't. I just had it happen three times with no file selected, and the first time the tabs were broken while the second and third times they weren't. Everything was the same between these occurrences except the sequence of events that led to the bug, as I've just been randomly switching between various layouts 3-5 times then restoring my saved layout to reproduce it. Doing this seems to have an ~25% chance of working. Tip: add the layout menu to your toolbar to make it a lot easier to switch between them.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:
so it's an artifact of the browser
I agree with this completely, I think your seeing the same type of problem. Widget or something is not right. Always starting from the left too.

The only difference is for me is that it's always in the same spot as seen in my screenshot. Happens more under Dark Theme, But under Default Theme it is a Dark Blue line instead of gray. Line is gray under dark theme for me. Sometimes spanning the entire screen.

I don't see this getting fixed or much attention until we know how to repo it. So many different variables makes it really hard.

Thank you for your help at trying to figure this one out,
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

I suspect the different location of the line has to do with the layouts we're using. As I said earlier, if you can attach your .ini file, it would allow me to try playing with it with your specific layout.

Since your line is horizontal, is stuff above or below it affected like stuff to the left of mine?